AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labeling data associated with poly lines

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
annw2
574 Views, 6 Replies

Labeling data associated with poly lines

I bring in assessor parcel data as poly lines using Map Import with the associated data.

It will show up when I use the properties function.

Is there any way to label it?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: annw2

Hi,

first question: when you need to label polygons, why do you use MAPIMPORT instead of MAPCONNECT? Using FDO objects makes labeling much more easy compared to imported polylines or mpolygons.

There is one command available that created centroid points within polygonal objects: MAPCREATECENTROIDS (>>>details<<<).

BUT BE CAREFUL! As you wrote that you have imported the shape as polylines (and not as mpolygons) the polylines don't know anything about islands, so an outer polyline and an islandpolyline might create both labels inside the inner polyline. That would not happen when you would have created mpolygons during MAPIMPORT.

The advantage of MAPCREATECENTROIDS is that the object data is transfered from object data of the polygonal object to the centroid object, so map-annotation functionality (>>>click<<<) can then be used for those points.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
annw2
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

No. The labeling is NOT EASIER.  It takes me a bit of fighting to get the labels to show up.

When they do show up, I have to fight and convert sizes to inches to get them to a correct font and size.

The colors will NOT plot using the standard AutoCAD plot color settings.

They jump all over the place as I pan around the screen.

I mostly want the labels to show up long enough to export them to generic AutoCAD Mtext, but I am having problems with that too.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 4 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> No. The labeling is NOT EASIER

Interesting 😉 All you list as disadvantages are for me advantages that I can use 😉

Anyway ... have you tried my suggestions from my previous post?

Because that described how to continue after MAPIMPORT.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 7
Murph_Map

@annw2 wrote:

No. The labeling is NOT EASIER.  It takes me a bit of fighting to get the labels to show up.

When they do show up, I have to fight and convert sizes to inches to get them to a correct font and size.

The colors will NOT plot using the standard AutoCAD plot color settings.

They jump all over the place as I pan around the screen.

I mostly want the labels to show up long enough to export them to generic AutoCAD Mtext, but I am having problems with that too.

Both ways are easy once you understand them. 

The size with FDO can be confusing with the Display size Vs. Map size for the text. 

Correct plot styles do not work with FDO features.

As for the jumping that CAN be advantage for FDO at times. 

If you want just Mtext or text then you ned to look at property quries and create text, but that can be a PITA as well.

I suggect if you are using mapimport then use Mapannoblocks you can control them a little easier and Vanilla  AutoCAD can still read them.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 7
braudpat
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hello

+1 with Murph & Alfred

Different solutions :

1) Use the OLD MAP Drawing Group Feature and with MAP Queries you can create standard texts reflecting any OD Object Data ...

These texts are not associative to the OD values. Or use a Lisp/VLisp program which does the same job ...

The resulting DWG is readable by ACAD, ACAD LT, etc ...

2) Use the MAP Annotate feature (better for me) and MAP Annotate Blocks...

These Blocks/Attributes are readable by ACAD, ACAD LT, etc ...

Thks to Murph : https://map3d.wordpress.com/2008/09/16/good-looking-annotation-blocks/

3) Use MAP FDO Feature and generate FDO Labels ...

The resulting DWG is NOT readable by ACAD, ACAD LT, etc ...

BUT you can export these FDO MAP to a standard DWG so the resulting DWG will be readable by ACAD, ACAD LT, etc ...

Happy New Year and THE HEALTH !

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
annw2
in reply to: Murph_Map

This sounds good.  I will try that the next time this comes up, probably in about 2 month's time.

My last Map class was about 15 years ago with almost no use between then & now.

This is what you get trying to learn software with random uses of the F1 key as the tutorials often don't apply to what I do.

Ann Wingert, P.E.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost