AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LABEL OBJECT DATA

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
n2itive
22410 Views, 38 Replies

LABEL OBJECT DATA

I'm not an everyday map user so I'll try to explain this the best I can and hope someone understands it. I generally stay in Civil 3D (2011).

So, I used the "mapinsert" command to insert a shape file from Arc GIS which consitsed of city property lines. I also wanted to include some object data (owner, address, name, etc...). So far, so good. The property lines came in as closed polylines just like a wanted. So when you select one closed polyline all the object data displays in your Properties pallete for that particular "property line". My question is can you add this object data as a label/text to each closed polyline (property)? Ive been messing around with inserting annotation but so far I got nothing. In the end I would like the property owner name listed within the property lines as text. Seems pretty simple to me. Thanks

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
antoniovinci
in reply to: n2itive

You should perform a "draw" _ADEQUERY, sir.

Message 3 of 39
Murph_Map
in reply to: antoniovinci

The draw query will work as long as the parcels are all rectangle in shape, any odd shaped parcel you may end up with labels not in the parcel.

: )

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 39
Gary_Braun

Use MAPCREATECENTROIDS to give you a point with object data. In the Task Pane, use data connect to add that layer to your map, then theme the layer to add labels as desired.

Message 5 of 39
n2itive

Thanks for the ideas, however I couldn't get  either to work. I'm not understanding what the draw query is asking of me and I don't have a data connect setup for the centroid options. Nor do I want to get that involved in this. I was just thinking it would be a simple task, since all the object data seems to be already in the drawing, to attached a label to each parcel (showing the owner name). For the amount of time I spent on this so far I could have just copied the text from the properties palette and pasted it into the drawing for each individual parcel. Even considering this is a city wide property line drawing. I don't need this to be intelligent in any way, I'm not worried about having a dynamic label or anything, I just want a dwg with the property lines and the owners name as simple text.

Appreciate the help though.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 6 of 39
antoniovinci

nelsons wrote:
Nor do I want to get that involved in this

Well, it's sad that you keep using your expensive Map3D as a word processor...

If you don't wanna humbly learn the automatic tools of the _ADEQUERY command, go on copy&paste-ing like a monkey, sir. 

Message 7 of 39
Murph_Map

What didn't work?

For the draw query you need to open a blank dwg and MAP ATTACH (not xref) your dwg into it and run an altery property query. A few steps to do this yes.

For map anno blocks you can do that all in the current dwg by creating an anno template then inserting the lables on all pacels at once.

Murph
Message 8 of 39
n2itive

Well thanks for your input regarding the way I use Map3d and being a monkey. Obviously, you're not a very good reader considering my first sentence stated I am not an everyday map user, we use Civil 3d. Over the last 5-6 years the only command I've needed was mapinsert for images, and some linework from ArcMap. Why would I spend countless hours and money learning a software I don't use? If Map3d wasn't built into civil 3d I certainly wouldn't spend the money on it.

Regardless, your statement did motivate me enough to figure this out. After a few hours of reading the help file, going through the tutorials and running Queries, I must say I'm much farther along than I was before. Unfortunately, I am still starring at a blank screen, even though from what I can tell the data is there.

The whole idea behind this was to be able to extract the data already in Arcmap and insert the text into our civil design drawing. My alternative is just to look at ArcMap on one screen and type the owners name on the other in C3D. It wasn't meant to be rocket science or a crash course on Map3d. If that makes me a monkey... fine with me... I just figured adding a label that would derive it's value from a specific "object data" would have been a simple, quick task. More so along the lines of click "add object label", select my parcels and choose my desired object label (owners name). I guess not.

Thanks again.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 9 of 39
n2itive
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph

That's exactly what I've done many times now, same order, and I still have a blank screen and no labels.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 10 of 39
Murph_Map

Well the obvious question is did you zoom extends afterwards? If you did and still have nothing post part of the dwg (with a parcel ) and I'll look.

Murph
Message 11 of 39
n2itive

Yes I did... but good thought, it's usually the little things like that that get me. Obviously, I'm not doing something right. However in the last few minutes I've copied and pasted all the data I need. So I appreciate the help but there's no need to waste any more time on this. Maybe some lonely, raining day I'll look into it more.

Thanks for the helps guys, sorry for getting a little frustrated towards one of the post.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 12 of 39
antoniovinci

Dear Nelsons,
in my favourite Cad italian forum, I've posted months ago all the steps to achieve your goal.

I try to translate 'em in my poor english, so you'll figure out the "powerful beauty" of Civil/Map queries.

Glad to having motivated you, stay tuned...  

Message 13 of 39
Murph_Map

@nelsons wrote:

Yes I did... but good thought, it's usually the little things like that that get me. Obviously, I'm not doing something right. However in the last few minutes I've copied and pasted all the data I need. So I appreciate the help but there's no need to waste any more time on this. Maybe some lonely, raining day I'll look into it more.

Thanks for the helps guys, sorry for getting a little frustrated towards one of the post.

Text height may be the problem as well, or the layers, if your using C3D those two things can be a pita when you do regular cad stuff. : )

Murph
Message 14 of 39
albionpjl

I came here with exactly the same question and cannot make head nor tail of the two suggested answers.

I used mapimport to import data from several mapinfo files. I import all the object data and have the importer  assign layers based on the uniqueid field in that data.  It is a simple matter to get it to import the point data as text when I import, but I can find no way to lable the polygons except by dtext and typing in the info read from the object data.

I tried adquery as suggested, but clicking on the object data option gives a box with blank fields.

Map attach breaks into two commands when I type it into the command line.

I tried the Suggestion about centroids [quote]

Use MAPCREATECENTROIDS to give you a point with object data. In the Task Pane, use data connect to add that layer to your map, then theme the layer to add labels as desired.[/quote]

But although I now have points with the object data. I do not know what the task pane is, don't know how to find data connect, and have no idea what is meant by theme the layer. 

As there is such a simple way to import the point info as text, surely there must  be a way to import a text object for the polygon info too?

ps I even tried turning on the ribbon, but all I see is the message 'The ribbon does not have any tabs or panels currently loaded'

C3d2012

Message 15 of 39
antoniovinci
in reply to: albionpjl

Here's the above mentioned translation from my mothertongue:

01] open an empty drawing

02] _MAPIMPORT the shape

03] save the drawing as BEFORE.DWG and close it

04] open an empty drawing  

05] _ADEDRAWINGS and attach BEFORE.DWG

06] _ADEQVIEWDWGS to see your map

07] _ADEQUERY

08] under QUERY TYPE choose LOCATION -> ALL -> OK

09] under QUERY MODE choose DRAW

10] under OPTIONS choose ALTER PROPERTIES -> TEXT -> EXPRESSION -> OBJECT DATA

11] choose the attribute to label -> OK -> input an suitable text height -> OK -> OK

12] EXECUTE QUERY 

13] zoom extents and save as AFTER.DWG 

Message 16 of 39
albionpjl

Thank you very much. This is very helpful.

I got that to work on my second attempt (must have got something wrong first time).

This will save me a great deal of time in the future.

Thanks againWoman Happy

Message 17 of 39
foxeec

Another way to go about it:

First, use 'Mapimport' to bring in your closed polylines with object data.

then:
1- 'mapanntemplate'  (don't enter the quotes - you'll get a dialog box, when you hit ok, it'll open the block editor)
2- 'mapanntext' (then I hit 'enter' for new text.  You'll get a dialog box asking for infomation for you to supply for the label.  Under the 'value' box, you can specify a field from your object data to be supplied.  When it asks for the insertion, i always use 0,0; which inserts the text right where i need it inside the polylines.).  At that point, i close the block editor, saving my changes on the way.
3 - 'mapanninsert' (check the template you created, select your polylines, and voila!  Labels!

if the labels need to be tweaked, use the 'mapanntemplate' again, to edit the template contents, such as size, layer, etc.; then run the 'mapannupdate' command to have those changes reflected.

Lorrie

Message 18 of 39
albionpjl
in reply to: foxeec

Thank you for replying, but that did not work.

In the dialogue box where I selected the value, there is another field called tag. the ok button was not selectable until I typed something in there but having no idea what the field means, I typed test

When I got to the mappinsert part, all of the labels that appeared read 'test' instead of taking information from the chosen objdata field.

What SHOULD go in tag?

Message 19 of 39
foxeec

Int the 'Tag' field, put whatever you like - test works.  Next to that in the 'Value' box, click the little button, and you should get a dialog box, where you can select object properties, object data, etc.

See if that works.

Message 20 of 39
foxeec

A little more clarification,

If i want to see the property owner, in the 'Tag' i would write Property Owner.  In the 'Value', i would browse to my object data and select 'propown', since thats that name of my field in the object data.

then when i do 'mapanninsert', it'll display the property owner of that property.  the 'tag' is just a placeholder.

Does that make more sense?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost