AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
n2itive
Message 1 of 26 (3,351 Views)
Accepted Solution

LABEL OBJECT DATA

3351 Views, 25 Replies
11-10-2011 01:03 PM

I'm not an everyday map user so I'll try to explain this the best I can and hope someone understands it. I generally stay in Civil 3D (2011).

So, I used the "mapinsert" command to insert a shape file from Arc GIS which consitsed of city property lines. I also wanted to include some object data (owner, address, name, etc...). So far, so good. The property lines came in as closed polylines just like a wanted. So when you select one closed polyline all the object data displays in your Properties pallete for that particular "property line". My question is can you add this object data as a label/text to each closed polyline (property)? Ive been messing around with inserting annotation but so far I got nothing. In the end I would like the property owner name listed within the property lines as text. Seems pretty simple to me. Thanks

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000

What didn't work?

For the draw query you need to open a blank dwg and MAP ATTACH (not xref) your dwg into it and run an altery property query. A few steps to do this yes.

For map anno blocks you can do that all in the current dwg by creating an anno template then inserting the lables on all pacels at once.

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 26 (3,348 Views)

Re: LABEL OBJECT DATA

11-10-2011 02:40 PM in reply to: n2itive

You should perform a "draw" _ADEQUERY, sir.

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 3 of 26 (3,343 Views)

11-10-2011 03:23 PM in reply to: antoniovinci

The draw query will work as long as the parcels are all rectangle in shape, any odd shaped parcel you may end up with labels not in the parcel.

: )

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Gary_Braun
Message 4 of 26 (3,338 Views)

11-10-2011 04:03 PM in reply to: n2itive

Use MAPCREATECENTROIDS to give you a point with object data. In the Task Pane, use data connect to add that layer to your map, then theme the layer to add labels as desired.

n2itive
Message 5 of 26 (3,320 Views)

11-11-2011 06:35 AM in reply to: n2itive

Thanks for the ideas, however I couldn't get  either to work. I'm not understanding what the draw query is asking of me and I don't have a data connect setup for the centroid options. Nor do I want to get that involved in this. I was just thinking it would be a simple task, since all the object data seems to be already in the drawing, to attached a label to each parcel (showing the owner name). For the amount of time I spent on this so far I could have just copied the text from the properties palette and pasted it into the drawing for each individual parcel. Even considering this is a city wide property line drawing. I don't need this to be intelligent in any way, I'm not worried about having a dynamic label or anything, I just want a dwg with the property lines and the owners name as simple text.

Appreciate the help though.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 6 of 26 (3,316 Views)

11-11-2011 07:03 AM in reply to: n2itive
nelsons wrote:
Nor do I want to get that involved in this

Well, it's sad that you keep using your expensive Map3D as a word processor...

If you don't wanna humbly learn the automatic tools of the _ADEQUERY command, go on copy&paste-ing like a monkey, sir. 

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 7 of 26 (3,308 Views)

11-11-2011 09:32 AM in reply to: n2itive

What didn't work?

For the draw query you need to open a blank dwg and MAP ATTACH (not xref) your dwg into it and run an altery property query. A few steps to do this yes.

For map anno blocks you can do that all in the current dwg by creating an anno template then inserting the lables on all pacels at once.

Murph
n2itive
Message 8 of 26 (3,307 Views)

11-11-2011 09:33 AM in reply to: antoniovinci

Well thanks for your input regarding the way I use Map3d and being a monkey. Obviously, you're not a very good reader considering my first sentence stated I am not an everyday map user, we use Civil 3d. Over the last 5-6 years the only command I've needed was mapinsert for images, and some linework from ArcMap. Why would I spend countless hours and money learning a software I don't use? If Map3d wasn't built into civil 3d I certainly wouldn't spend the money on it.

Regardless, your statement did motivate me enough to figure this out. After a few hours of reading the help file, going through the tutorials and running Queries, I must say I'm much farther along than I was before. Unfortunately, I am still starring at a blank screen, even though from what I can tell the data is there.

The whole idea behind this was to be able to extract the data already in Arcmap and insert the text into our civil design drawing. My alternative is just to look at ArcMap on one screen and type the owners name on the other in C3D. It wasn't meant to be rocket science or a crash course on Map3d. If that makes me a monkey... fine with me... I just figured adding a label that would derive it's value from a specific "object data" would have been a simple, quick task. More so along the lines of click "add object label", select my parcels and choose my desired object label (owners name). I guess not.

Thanks again.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
n2itive
Message 9 of 26 (3,306 Views)

11-11-2011 09:35 AM in reply to: Murph

Murph

That's exactly what I've done many times now, same order, and I still have a blank screen and no labels.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 10 of 26 (3,304 Views)

11-11-2011 09:42 AM in reply to: n2itive

Well the obvious question is did you zoom extends afterwards? If you did and still have nothing post part of the dwg (with a parcel ) and I'll look.

Murph
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.