AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is FDO in Map 3D 2013 just that unstable?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tmblackflag
574 Views, 4 Replies

Is FDO in Map 3D 2013 just that unstable?

We've recently taken three layers out of our DWG's and placed them into Oracle Spatial. In general, DWG's are crashing now more than ever. There are a whole host of bugs we're experiencing, and while the product works it is borderline unusable.

Some bugs I've found:

1) DWG's randomly fatal error upon opening, can't reopen until MAPTIONS --> SYSTEM --> Cache is cleared

2) Putting a DWG into "Offline" mode and then clicking on any FDO feature brings on a fatal error

3) Hitting the enter key from the cell in the data table causes a fatal error.
4) DWG's randomly fatal error when closing

5) When right-clicking on an FDO layer in some DWG's and trying to "Add calculated field" DWG will fatal error. No amount of recovering, or detaching and reattaching FDO layers fixes the problem.

6) When putting a DWG into Offline mode, saving, and closing, there is a high probability that the DWG will automatically reconnect next time it is opened! This is terrible for our users geograhpically far from the database.

Is FDO in general an immature product? Before this we used Map 3d 2010 with non-FDO DWG's and my CAD people saw crashes on very rare occasion. They email me daily now about product instabilities and ramprant fatal errors.

Our setup:

Map 3D 2013

Oracle FDO w/ 11gR2 database client

Win 7 64bit 4GB ram

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
O.Maille
in reply to: tmblackflag

Yes

Message 3 of 5
braudpat
in reply to: O.Maille

Hello from France

I have used ALL verions of MAP beginning with MAP R1 (bases on ACAD R13) to MAP 2013 ...

You can't compare DWG Technology and FDO Technology in term of reliability / stability ?

It's sure that FDO is less robust than DWG !

Personnaly with FDO, I think that MAP 2012 (+SP 2) or MAP 2011 (+ SP 1 + SP 2)

is more stable than MAP 2013 (+ SP 1) ...

So you have to be careful with FDO especially if you are using SDF, SHP, SQLite !

Especially if you try to connect simultaneously N MAP 201X Users to the same FDO Data !

Because concurrent access is not really managed by FDO ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
tmblackflag
in reply to: braudpat

I agree that FDO will probably never be as stable as DWG, but until they get it to a respectably stable level it simply shouldn't be included in the product. At least not the Oracle FDO provider that we're using...

To circumvent the issue I've setup local SDF files in a few of our corporate offices and I now syncronize that data with our Oracle database in the evenings. The SDF provider seems much more stable which makes sense as it is the autodesk proprietary FDO storage format.

Message 5 of 5
braudpat
in reply to: tmblackflag

Hello

YES SDF v3 is the best choice !

Very fast especially if you have Labels and complex FDO Expression ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost