AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intensity Heat map?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
cadd
5161 Views, 21 Replies

Intensity Heat map?

Is it possible to make a heat/intensity theme map with Autocad Map3d?

thanks, mike

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: cadd

Hi,

if you have the data ... yes.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 22
cadd
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Do you know of any good tutorials? or other sites that show the process?

thanks, mike

Message 4 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> or other sites that show the process?

The process difffers depending of how the data is structured you get to build up the map from.

You can look >>>here<<< for starting videos that show how Map3D is working basically.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 22
cadd

ok thanks i went to the help site and already searched for 'heat' and 'intensity' map, the help feature didn't bring back anything good.  I know how autocad works basically it was this specific issue that i was trying find help with.  maybe autocad uses a different term than heat/intensity??

m

Message 6 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> searched for 'heat' and 'intensity' map

Come on, do you think that you can search for "GEAR" and you find how a gear should be constructed with AutoCAD?

When you ask for heat-intensity I guess you have some data that represents these values, so now you have to import or reference the data and use the GIS-functionality to create your thematic mapping with your values.

That's why I mentioned that it depends on how your data is structured, what do you have, do you have polygons, points, historical data (with different dates), .... and in what format.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 22
cadd

well a gear is a specific item that you draw in autocad I wouldn't search of how to draw a gear, but i may search for how to create lines arcs etc. that make up a gear, if i needed that info.

A theme map is a pretty generic thing, regardless of data type at the very least there should be some info that points users how to create one it, I don't think searching on the autocad HELP site for heat/intensity map is to far of a thing to ask for.  If you don't know the answer thats fine you don't have to get pissy about it.

thanks for your assistance though in pointing me to the general help site...

Message 8 of 22
antoniovinci

Mr.Cadd,

take a deep breath and listen quietly.

Alfred is one of the best Autocad Map experts in whole f#####g world, trust me.

He was trying to tell that you can create any type of stylized maps, no matter of your data representing level of heat, sound, pollution: everything, period.

You have only to import geometry with those data, either embedded or lying in an external database, e.g. Access/Excel.

Now go and learn, 'cause it won't be so easy, man...

Message 9 of 22
Murph_Map

Give an example of the data you have if you have any and what you want.  If Alfred, Antionio or I can't help you then it most likey can't be done.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 10 of 22
cadd
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hi Murph, thanks for your reply, maybe my initial question wasn't worded very well.  What I'm wanting to create is technically called a choropleth map http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choropleth_map not a map that actually shows heat temperature.  I've always heard of these maps as called heat maps, they are fairly common in esri gis, but i don't know if i've seen one done in autocad.  So in my case i want to show a map of a city and the number of fire calls based on their address.  So for example in one area there would be a higher intensity of color for more calls and a different color for areas that have less calls.  I know esri software can do it, but they charge for each module and it gets pretty expensive, I already have autocad map 3d and was hoping it had this functionality built in.  I didn't expect anyone to walk me through everyt single step, i simply wanted to see if there were any good tutorials out there or documention on doing it in autocad.  I googled the subject and see it can be done in google maps and some other tools, but again I didn't find anything really helpful for using autocad.

thanks for your input.

Message 11 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I know esri software can do it, but they charge for each module and it gets pretty expensive

You have to pay extra for a simple thematic mapping functionality? No, that is built in .... the functionality, not the data.

And why do I mention the data here? Because I asked now 3 times how your data is structured, you don't give an answer (to an important question ... a question we need answered to give you function-names or specific workflows for how you can go on with your work), but call me "to get pissy".

Find attached a video that shows how to load data, how to create formulas so you see how to get a value for "items per any property" (what you can use for your heat-values) and as the last step how to configure the mapping to display these values in colored-shades. The video is German (sorry, I only have the German Map3D), but you see the icons I use and that is equal to the Map3D in English or other languages.

(sorry that the 1.5MB upload-limit does not allow a better video resolution)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 22
Murph_Map

Yes Map3D can do what you need. Depending on what information you have and the format it's in as to how to theme it. Do you have dumb autocad objects with text, shp files, microstation dng files, PostGIS database or what? There is a few different ways to get the results you want depending on the data.

Murph
Message 13 of 22
cadd

thanks again murph, thats good news to hear that it has that functionality At this time i have an esri shape file and the table data is in excel but i could easily put it in an access (.mdb) database if that would help.

Message 14 of 22
Murph_Map

@CADD wrote:

thanks again murph, thats good news to hear that it has that functionality At this time i have an esri shape file and the table data is in excel but i could easily put it in an access (.mdb) database if that would help.

If you have the shp files still in the orginal format (.shp, .shx & .dbf ) then you can use the data connect and theme as shown in Alfred's zip file video. Connect to the shp instead of SQL Lite and set the style(theme) by values in the data table. If you only want two colors then look at using the Less than < and Greater than > in the expression for setting the theme.

Murph
Message 15 of 22
cadd

thank you.

Message 16 of 22
olivier.eckmann

Hi,

I follow this discussion, and another question appears to me linked to data, and I haven't found solution.

If I've well understood there are 2 shp files : 1 for polygon corresponding to area (in the town) and 1 ponctual for fire call.

How is it possible to count the number of ponctuel inside an area and transfer this information to area data?

I 've tried with Gis overlay (identity), so I can add id of area on each ponctual object, but I don't know how to transfer / fill a column with the number of fire call inside a area. 

Thanks

Olivier

Message 17 of 22
parkr4st

If

Table "A"                                              &      Table "B"

FID Polygon Area#                                       Area#    FireCount (FireCount is the total per Area#, not one individual fire)

You can join the data tables (B To A) Option, create a join  or RC in the data table window or in the Display manager, rc the data, create a join and then apply your style

What do(es) your data table(s) have for columns of data?

Dave

Message 18 of 22
olivier.eckmann
in reply to: parkr4st

Thanks, but sorry I don't undestand what is your process.

I join a SDF file with a class ZONE with 4 polygons and a classe FIRE with some points. In each areas, I've 3 or 4 or 5 or 8 points.

I just want to count how many point per area (and add this number as info) to each polygon. The goal is to do a thematic map on polygons according number of point are inside each polygon.

Thanks 

Olivier

Message 19 of 22

I fear you can't in Autodesk environment, while in the free Qgis it would be easy as 1-2-3, sir.

Message 20 of 22

Hi,

>> I fear you can't in Autodesk environment

If you have a point theme and a polygon theme you can overlay them (e.g. using "Identity"), the result is a new theme having assigned the polygon-id to the point. Using any database with SQL-ability you can create a new view or table holding the polygon-id + the count of the point-objects ==> link that back to the polygon theme and that's it.

But yes, you need to know SQL for this step (SELECT COUNT ... GROUP BY ,,,).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost