AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Block with Attributes - Fill from Object Data assigned to Polylines?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
LeafRiders
1763 Views, 2 Replies

Insert Block with Attributes - Fill from Object Data assigned to Polylines?

Has anyone successfully ran a Query that inserts a block with attributes filled with text derived from a file that has a large set of polylines with object data (text)? Is it easier just to  insert this object data as text with a query. Or can I place this object data (text) into a block that inserts?

Example:

- You have land locations defined within the object data assigned to a set of closed polylines. (Large subdivision)

- Field name for object data on each closed polyline is "LAND_LOC"

- Now, I'd like to label these locations with a block that inserts to a central point within the closed polyline.

- Block Attributes with "get" the information from the polyline / object data and place this value in the block attribute. 

- I have 1 drawing file that has closed polylines with object data assigned to them.

- This is where I'm looking for ideas to get this to work. What is the best method for this? I'd like a block with attributes to insert and pull the object data / field and place it into the block with a defined attribute, that is central to each of the closed polylines. (LAND_LOC)

Tips, Tricks, Ideas? I used to have LISP and .Net guy would could write a program in a week that would do all this for me, but that doesn't currently exist.  Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Murph_Map
in reply to: LeafRiders

Map Annotation blocks perhaps. Have you looked at that or aware of them?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 3
pmcatnip
in reply to: LeafRiders

In case others find this, I was having a similar problem and after a lot of tinkering here's what worked.

First I tried making a block to display the tag of interest.  The block worked fine but the tag was a block attribute, and I couldn't get my data out of the object data and into the block attributes.

Next I tried the annotation template as described here and here.  After defining the annotation template to use the object data field, I had to Insert the annotation which creates annotation just fine, but as a new block.  When updating the object data I then have to Update Annotation to make the new data display.  It works ok but I'd prefer if it was all handled in one object and updated automatically.  Is there a way to do that?

Dell Optiplex 360, Intel Core 2 Duo CUP, E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 3.00 GB RAM. Win XP Pro 32 bit. ACAD Map 3D 2012.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost