AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Shape files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jkennedy11
792 Views, 4 Replies

Importing Shape files

I am working in AutoCAD map 3D 2011. From my research online, I understand it should be able to import shape files whereas normal versions cannot. I am unable to get my version to recognize the cesus tiger shape files. I am interested in the road information only. I have noticed online that that there should be a "map" or "mapping" option on my toolbar and there is not. Can anyone give me some insight on this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: jkennedy11

Command: _MAPIMPORT

Message 3 of 5
jkennedy11
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks! This actually worked, but i still have some problems. I'm importing this into an existing drawing with gps coordinates. This command doesn't let me import the gps data. My tiger maps files include DBF, IDX, PRJ, SHP, XML and SHX. I'm new to shape files so i'm not sure what files are what, but i need the data to math with the existing drawing. Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: jkennedy11

Sounds like your shapefile and your existing drawing are lying in two different CRS (Coordinate Reference System).

I've no Autocad at home, so here are a few steps "by rote":

1] open the existing drawing

2] set its right CRS with _ADESETCRDSYS command

3] _MAPIMPORT and browse to the .SHP file

4] in the Mapimport dialog window, declare the CRS of the shape.

In that way, the .SHP will be converted on-the-fly to the drawing's CRS.

Message 5 of 5
jkennedy11
in reply to: antoniovinci

Very much appreciated! Things look good now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost