AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing GPS points

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
donald.e.clark
1218 Views, 10 Replies

importing GPS points

Should I use a csv file to import GPS points or should I set them up in ArcGIS first?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

>> Should I use a csv file to import GPS points or should I set them up in ArcGIS first?

....to do what?

Sorry, it depends strongly to what do you want to do with that points? So we need to know that to be able to answer this question.

It's also necessary to know how you have your points currently stored (on what device or in what file format).

BTW: what do you mean by "set them up in ArcGIS"?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11

GPS points are saved as a csv and a dxf.  A different file type can probably be used if needed.

I have power pole points for design and road points for reference.  I would say what I want to do is "Convert Data to Industry Models".

The information is arranged:  point number, X, Y, Z, point description.  I am thinking maybe I need to edit the information in ArcGIS then connect AutoCAD to the database file.

Using AUD with all Map 3D tools enabled.  AUD expert told me that my questions are more so about Map 3D.

Message 4 of 11

Simply try the _IMPORTPOINTS command, choosing PENZD input format.

Message 5 of 11

The descriptions for the pole points states the construction status of the pole.  Existing, Install, or Replacement.  Descriptions for Install states Pole Top.  What steps do I need to go through to have the different types of pole status in the Display Manage?

I want to use Attribute Data and Industry Models.  Now I am thinking that "Convert Data to Industry Models" doesn't work for txt or csv files.

Message 6 of 11
Murph_Map
in reply to: donald.e.clark

Use the Survey Tab of the display manager and create a new data store then import the points. Using the mapimport and txt files will lose some of the data.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 11
donald.e.clark
in reply to: Murph_Map

Points didn't show.  What am I doing wrong?  What file type should I import when using the data store?  Oh, creating the data store does not import the points?

I can xref the dxf of the GPS points but regular AutoCAD has that capability.

What is the best way to use the raw data I have, in AUD (as Map 3D) with Industry Models to create Object Data?  Would there be recommanded data editing before importing it?

There might be several steps that I am planning to do in the wrong order.

Message 8 of 11

Please share with us your .CSV file, just to cast an eye over it, sir.

Message 9 of 11
Murph_Map

After you create the data store you need to import the points, after that you can style (display) the points as you like, by the attributtes.

Upload a few lines of the cvs file and we'll show you.

Murph
Message 10 of 11
donald.e.clark
in reply to: Murph_Map

One last issue for this tread:  I do not need point numbers displayed.  I would prefer the point descriptions be displayed instead.

Message 11 of 11
Murph_Map

Once you add them to the data store you set the style as you want, either display the point number or discription even different symbols for differnt pole hgt.

Murph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost