AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing ESRI data into Map

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
mvilla724
1129 Views, 20 Replies

Importing ESRI data into Map

I have a directory that contains .dbf, .prj, .sbn, .sbx, .shp & .shx files. How do import or use this data in Autodesk Map? I'm sure someone has asked before. Also, I would like to know about obtaining GIS training. I've been a survey tech for years now, time to learn some more stuff.

thanks,
Michael
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: mvilla724

It all depends on what you want to do with the
data/files after you bring it into Map3D. The mapimport command will create
AutoCAD objects out of the files and allow you to create a Object Data table
from the attributtes attaching them to the geometry. The data connect tool (FDO)
will allow you to view and/or edit the geometry and its data in its native
format.

For the training a good start would be at AU
href="http://www.au.autodesk.com">www.au.autodesk.com
or check with your
reseller. If you happen to be in the southeast US give me a shout and I'll post
our next class dates, in the mean time spend a few minutes or hours reading my
blog.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
have a directory that contains .dbf, .prj, .sbn, .sbx, .shp & .shx files.
How do import or use this data in Autodesk Map? I'm sure someone has asked
before. Also, I would like to know about obtaining GIS training. I've been a
survey tech for years now, time to learn some more stuff. thanks,
Michael
Message 3 of 21
Soocom1

This data can be used for spatial analysis, cartography, including thematic, and choropleth maps.

The primary advantage in using this data, (commonly known as shapefiles) is that you can create maps with actual Autocad objects and drawings.
One of the best examples is what is known as the BIM system. (Building Integration Management) This system is where you literally have all of the various deciplines in drafting from Mechanical Electrical Plumbing, Civil, Arch., Eng. drawings all in an Autocad format, used to make a total system for putting up a building.

The inclusion of Cartography/GIS data in all of this means that you do not have to drop such data through a translator for use in ESRI.

To import it, the simplest way is through the FDO (Feature Data Object) display, and "link" the data into Autocad.

Because this data is actual GIS data, you can do virtually any analysis with it and display it as an actual map. Plus you can include your working drawings in with it.

The .dbf is your database (tables viewable in any spreadsheet format that accepts the .dbf format. Including Excel and Access.
The .prj is your projection file, and if you copy this file, and paste/rename to a .txt format, you can read the projection given.
The .sbn is the file used by ESRI as a bianary language spatial index. Translation, it tells the computer what data goes to what shape.
The .sbx ia an Adobe file extension known as Tsume. This helps you do the actual spatial analysis. (Don't fret about this one)
The .shp file is the actual shapefile. This is the actual geometry that you see.
The .shx file is an index file, acts in tandem between the shape file and database.

When you load a shpefile, you will only need to load the actual .shp file. Everything else will cross reference itself. Be careful of re-naming anything. when doing this, EVERY single one of them MUST be named EXACTLY the same on each file minus the extension. Otherwise you will not be able to load them.
Some shape files will come with additional files and some with only three files. Much much more of this can be learned from just referencing this info on this forum and other web sites.
Message 4 of 21
mvilla724

Awesome stuff. I'm really enjoying learning this technology. Thanks so much.

Michael
Message 5 of 21
ArmyVet717

We recently started using 2 new GPS units that use ArcPad 10. WHen we import the shape files into 2011 Map 3D, they scale is way off from our base map. Could this be an issue with the projection set up and if so, does anyone know how to correct it?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 21
antoniovinci
in reply to: ArmyVet717

By default, Autocad draws in cartesian coords: in other words, the Earth is flat (projected system reference).

Otherwise, for your GPS unit, the Earth is spherical, so it refers to a geographic system reference.

If you wanna use your GPS points in a flat map, you have to perform a spatial conversion: read here.

Message 7 of 21
ArmyVet717
in reply to: antoniovinci

If I am correct, using the _MAPEXPORT command will correct the hsape file once it is imported? This will then correct the scale issue or will we need to scale the points to match our base maps? 

Message 8 of 21
antoniovinci

Correct, but before you gotta issue the right CRS (Coordinate System Reference) by means of the _ADESETCRDSYS command.

I'd bet that your GPS survey is in LL84 CRS.

Message 9 of 21
ArmyVet717

Actually, it is in WGS84. We have been playing with it and this is the only one we found that both the unit and Map have in common. I am still researching the unit to see if there is a way to add custom units so that it will work with our basemaps.

Message 10 of 21
antoniovinci

Beware, the statement WGS84 has no meaning.

WGS84 is a main datum, but there are several coords systems referring to it.

Why don't ya upload here that point shapefile, in ZIP format..?    

Message 11 of 21
ArmyVet717

Then I am truly at a loss.

Message 12 of 21
antoniovinci

No way, a shapeset contains at least 3 files: .SHP, .DBF, .SHX, and optionally a .PRJ, sir.

Message 13 of 21
Murph_Map

@antoniovinci wrote:

No way, a shapeset contains at least 3 files: .SHP, .DBF, .SHX, and optionally a .PRJ, sir.

Indeed, however with FDO you can bring in the geometry with out the DBF or PRJ files. 😉

Get that upgrade Antonio.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 14 of 21
Murph_Map

It does look like your data is in Lat/Lon, you should be able to set the coordinate system in the gps unit to use a state plane coordinate system. (mapping grade GPS and not the sports grade for hunting and hiking.) What GPS unit are you using?

Murph
Message 15 of 21
antoniovinci
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph wrote:

Get that upgrade Antonio.

I wrote it long time ago in my wishlist to Santa, but crisis is goin' on, so there's no chance.
Moreover I belong to the old generation, digiting every command manually or with shortcuts, far from ribbons or similar fireworks...

Message 16 of 21
ArmyVet717

Nautiz X7, I have been toying with this unit to try and change the projection and datumn, but having a hard time doing so. I attemtped to change things within ArcPad since that is where most of the settings are located. I just wish the scaling issue was a simple fix, if not for that we would be ready to do an actual field test with real world information rather than "parking lot" test. 

Normally in Map, we use an Oregon based coordinate system, but for some reason, none are available within the datum of the unit. I am waiting to hear from the manufacturer as to whether or not I can change the datum and projection in the unit without having to go into ArcPad, then have it be the "default" setting.

Message 17 of 21
Murph_Map

What is the correct distance from the lower left point to the upper right point in real world? I get almost 4'  (3.9289) when I measure it.

Murph
Message 18 of 21
ArmyVet717

If I am not mistaken, it should be around 40' (+/-). My Map guy is gone for the evening so I cannot see the points. ArcPad will not let me measure the distance for some reason. I know that between 2 points it should be around 120', that was taken between 2 power poles. 

Message 19 of 21
Murph_Map

@ArmyVet717 wrote:

If I am not mistaken, it should be around 40' (+/-). My Map guy is gone for the evening so I cannot see the points. ArcPad will not let me measure the distance for some reason. I know that between 2 points it should be around 120', that was taken between 2 power poles. 

Yea, the 120' foot sounds about right for the span, our smallest was 150' other than secondary lines. I would get the settings in the GPS unit for VDOP, HDOP, PDOP etc. sounds like the unit is not recording them correctly.  Even my little Garmin geocache unit has more accuracy than yours is set at.

Murph
Message 20 of 21
ArmyVet717

That is kind of what I am working on, but finding a way to do so is proving to be more of a task than I thought. We do not want to have to scale points, and we should not have to. My Garmin is much more exact as well, and my Android phone actually pulls better point calculations at this point. When I did the Nautiz test run, I also did it with my phone. My phone came in within 10' I beleive it was. May be we should just use Android phones, seems easier and a lot less of a pain! Smiley Wink

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost