AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing .dwg file to archGIS map with assigned Coordinates...HOW TO!!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
734 Views, 3 Replies

Importing .dwg file to archGIS map with assigned Coordinates...HOW TO!!

Hi...again. Wondering if there was any further expertise on this....

Im attempting to import a .dwg drawing into an ESRI arhgis file that has assigned coordinates.  The .dwg data displays but not spatially correct.

I have been advised that the .dwg file has an assigned coordinate system (though not convinced). No co-ord sys displays when I view the .dwg file in Autocad (Map3D 2009) (looking under 'Menu Browser' >'Analyse'). 

Is there a way that I can:

(1) Confirm conclusively whether there is a co-ord system assigned to the .dwg file and if so ensure that it imports spatially correct?

(2) Export/modify/configure the .dwg file to ensure its co-ord system match the receiving archgis file co-ords?

Otherwise, I am assuming that where no co-ords exist, its a case of spatially adjusting the .dwg file in arch gis after import?

Thanks

A. Planner

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you know the coord system of the .dwg, put in a correctly-configured .prj file with the same name in the same folder. Arc will then force the coord system of the drawing to the .prj

Message 3 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have AutoCAD Map3D or Civil3D you can open the dwg and use the MAPCSASSIGN command to see if a CS is assigned to the dwg. Aslo ID a point and see what the coordinates are for it. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: Murph_Map

I concur with Murph: please paste here a X,Y pair somewhere at the drawing center, sir.

Another way to check the current CRS is the _ADESETCRDSYS command.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report