AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing .asc file and creating contour layer

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
neilyj666
1828 Views, 2 Replies

Importing .asc file and creating contour layer

I need to create a truncated contour map based on data from a .asc file. I have connected the .asc file but there is no option for adding with query  so I have brought the whole file in.

I then created a contour layer and added to map (all good so far) but when attempting to query this layer for my area of interest nothing appeared on screen.

I then did some manipulation of the sdf to create polylines at the contour elevation and tried to MAPTRIM but I stopped Civil 3D after having "not responding" for 15 minutes

Any ideas??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
antoniovinci
in reply to: neilyj666

The easiest way to accomplish this is to crop the .ASC before _MAPCONNECTing it.

For instance, Microdem is a free software able to create a georeferenced subset of a Dem.

Message 3 of 3
neilyj666
in reply to: antoniovinci

I ended up creating the contour layer for the whole DEM, exporting to SDF and then importing to a new drawing.

I the used Boundary trim on small areas (about 7 in all) at a time to trim it and then queried to chage the elevation attribute.

I think it was crashing becasue I tried to trim everything at one (in an 80Mb file, 1m contour spacings = a lot of data)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost