AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
d_reno
Message 1 of 15 (1,780 Views)

Import Point Data with Map Object Data

1780 Views, 14 Replies
01-20-2011 11:05 AM

hey,

can anyone describe, step by step, how to import point data that has Map Object Data also attached to it? I am basically a moron and if someone tells me "import it by attaching to a data source" I will be as clueless as I am now - I need to have my hand held.

Example: I have a bunch of manholes. Each MH has X,Y,Z, but also Type, Invert Elevs., Pipe Sizes, Pipe Materials, Pipe Directions, Structure Type/Material, etc. etc. etc. I may have point data representing MH's, airport runway ends, trees, anything you can imagine, with all kinds of data imaginable. 

I want to import this data directly into Autocad/Civil 3D as either Autocad points, lines, or closed polylines (I also have utility lines, parking lots, etc.- all with data associated with it), all with the data attached as object data. I know that anything more complex than points might be hard to explain here, so I am hoping at least for a solution on how to import points - I have 99,999 MH's and obviously I don't want to have to type all that data in one by one.

I basically suck at using sql server. I can get around using the Map workspace and the different tabs. I have never used FDO, and I am not even sure what it is.

I fooled it today by creating 99,999 Autocad points at the correct XYZ, attaching the correct object data to them, then exporting as a shp file. I went into the shp_name.dbf file and edited it to add the data I wanted by cutting & pasting from Excel. then I re-imported the shp file. but, this is a workaround at best.

Surely Map can import objects and their associated data fields, all populated with valid data! all I need is to know how to do it. I mean, if this is not something I can do directly using Map commands should I take the money I earned by surveying 99,999 MH's with my GIS data collector that allows me to assign 101data fields to each object I survey, and buy something better?

THANKS.

david

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
Active Contributor
foxeec
Message 2 of 15 (1,766 Views)

Re: Import Point Data with Map Object Data

01-20-2011 01:55 PM in reply to: d_reno

My first question would be what format is it in now?

If its a shape file, and you want to import the points, use MAPIMPORT, select the shape file, and in the dialogue box, under 'Data', tell it 'create object data'.  You can also specify a layer to put them on, or assign them to blocks.

Lorrie

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 3 of 15 (1,761 Views)

01-20-2011 02:35 PM in reply to: d_reno

I think you need to Take 5 and call it a day.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
d_reno
Message 4 of 15 (1,755 Views)

01-20-2011 04:17 PM in reply to: d_reno

Hi Lorrie,

Yes, the MAPIMPORT of a shp file does exactly what I want to do. I have a drawing going now that I imported 62 separate shp files provided me by a consultant using some other software (not ESRI). 

My data is data that I had to supplement what the consultant gave me. The data is in the form of a comma delimited ascii file, or whatever else I can dream up using Excel or Trimble Geomatics Office. TGO does export to a shp file, but the attributes available for export are grossly lacking in choice. furthermore, I only used TGO to try to process my point data in order to get ellipsoid heights based on the coordinate system I am in.

I'm sure that Trimble probably makes an office product, like Pathfinder Office, that will export what I need based on how I collect the data using a Trimble GPS device. But, this doesn't solve my problem now - how to import object data in an ascii file to points with several data fields populated based on what it reads in the ascii file (besides the XYZ insertion point).

thanks for reading and for any input you might have!

dr

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 5 of 15 (1,753 Views)

01-20-2011 06:35 PM in reply to: d_reno

You need to st up an ODBC connection and bring the points and data in that way if you want all the attributes. You can use the Civil3D points import also and try to set up a custom format. Then you would need to create the point label style to get all the attributes.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 6 of 15 (1,724 Views)

01-21-2011 05:02 AM in reply to: d_reno
d_reno
Message 7 of 15 (1,721 Views)

01-21-2011 05:29 AM in reply to: Murph

thanks, Murph!

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Active Contributor
foxeec
Message 8 of 15 (1,716 Views)

01-21-2011 07:39 AM in reply to: d_reno

Nice article Murph - I hadn't seen that one.

As a side note Dave, I'm able to export shape files out of TGO with attributes.  Its not the best program to work with, but I'm able to get out points with 10-12 attributes attached to it in shp files.  Not sure if there's a limit on the amount of attributes it'll export.

Lorrie

d_reno
Message 9 of 15 (1,713 Views)

01-21-2011 07:50 AM in reply to: foxeec

Really! Maybe my version of TGO is too old? I have v1.60. Attached is a screen shot that shows my limited attribute options using Export, GIS, ESRI SHp file - points. Maybe I am not doing it correctly?

thanks for your input!

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Active Contributor
foxeec
Message 10 of 15 (1,706 Views)

01-21-2011 08:04 AM in reply to: d_reno

I'm running v1.63, but that shouldn't really matter for this, since I've been doing it since I first got TGO, years ago.  When exporting, try selecting the top option 'Arcview shape files - points & lines (.dbf, .shp, .shx).  this will send you to a new dialogue box.  I select everything on the left side, then hit export.  It should give you shape files with attributes.

Lorrie

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.