AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
d_reno
Message 11 of 15 (811 Views)

Re: Import Point Data with Map Object Data

01-21-2011 08:43 AM in reply to: foxeec

Yeah, that looks similar to what the Points dialog looks like. My issue is that if I have a point with attached attributes named (for example) Material, Depth, Invert Elevation, Pipe Size1, Pipe Direction1, etc. I don't see a way to export this sort of data to a shp file.

thanks for your input!

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
Active Contributor
foxeec
Message 12 of 15 (808 Views)

01-21-2011 09:33 AM in reply to: d_reno

There isn't a box or anything to select to choose the attributes. It may be based on the 'Feature Code' selection in the dialogue box - if the particular Feature Code has attributes, it includes them?  I just know that when I hit 'ok', the shape files are generated with the attributes. 

Lorrie

Distinguished Contributor
d_reno
Message 13 of 15 (804 Views)

01-21-2011 11:01 AM in reply to: foxeec

OK, cool. I will give it a shot, this sounds like it will be useful. one more question (then it's time to enjoy the weekend) - are you able to title the attribute fields? for example in the drawing I am working in now I have a field called "penValSpecified." the data is how much an object is above or below a surface. is it smart enough to know that this number above or below is penValSpecified? is there a way to define object data fields perhaps?

thanks to you and Murph for all your help!

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
Active Contributor
foxeec
Message 14 of 15 (794 Views)

01-21-2011 02:37 PM in reply to: d_reno

The attribute fields that are generated by the shape file exported from TGO are based on the attributes you set up in your Feature Code Library.

If you currently have the Object Data Table set up in Map, and if you have a shape file with that information on it, you can specify which field you want that attribute to go to.   (For ex.:  if my shape file has a field name of ‘Type’, but my Object Data Table has a field named ‘penValSpecified’, I can simply select that while I’m inside the Mapimport command (see attached) and the information will go to the correct field in the OD table.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Also, yes, it is possible to define the Object Data fields.  Use the ADEDEFDATA command, and you should be able to select an existing OD table and modify it, or create a new table, which you can populate with all the fields you want.  Then when you import a shapefile, you simply select that particular OD table to have the attributes go to.

Hope that all makes sense.

h2omusc
Message 15 of 15 (585 Views)

06-06-2011 08:43 AM in reply to: Murph

I have a project/problem that sounds similar to d_reno's and sounds like he is working on AGIS stuff after I saw the post about the penValSupplemental.  I followed the link to Murph's blog and got that procedure to work for me, but would like to create AutoCAD points with the data from my csv file as attributes for the points as object data.

Back to the beginning, I have (or can create easily) an Excel spreadsheet which can of course be converted to csv of all the information/attributes required to be attached to my points (control points, obstructions, nav aids, etc).  I also have a template that contains all the object data tables that I need for the different kinds of points which will be on different layers.  Right now I have 2 ways of doing this now:  1) import the points using just the coords from the csv, attaching the built in object data tables and then manually populating the attribute fields, 2) using ArcGIS import the points with the attribute data and create a SHP file, and then import this into CAD.  The problem with #2 is I am not experienced with ArcGIS so our GIS tech has to do that and it's not very efficient, so I am trying to "eliminate the middle man".

So the idea is to be able import the points directly from the csv and have all the object data populate.  Or I suppose I can do Murph's procedure and then convert the feature data to AutoCAD as long as the feature properties could be converted to attribute data in the object data table.  Hope that makes sense.  I will attach my Excel spreadsheet with my data.

Thanks,

Caleb

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.