AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Point Data with Map Object Data

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
d_reno
3035 Views, 14 Replies

Import Point Data with Map Object Data

hey,

can anyone describe, step by step, how to import point data that has Map Object Data also attached to it? I am basically a moron and if someone tells me "import it by attaching to a data source" I will be as clueless as I am now - I need to have my hand held.

Example: I have a bunch of manholes. Each MH has X,Y,Z, but also Type, Invert Elevs., Pipe Sizes, Pipe Materials, Pipe Directions, Structure Type/Material, etc. etc. etc. I may have point data representing MH's, airport runway ends, trees, anything you can imagine, with all kinds of data imaginable. 

I want to import this data directly into Autocad/Civil 3D as either Autocad points, lines, or closed polylines (I also have utility lines, parking lots, etc.- all with data associated with it), all with the data attached as object data. I know that anything more complex than points might be hard to explain here, so I am hoping at least for a solution on how to import points - I have 99,999 MH's and obviously I don't want to have to type all that data in one by one.

I basically suck at using sql server. I can get around using the Map workspace and the different tabs. I have never used FDO, and I am not even sure what it is.

I fooled it today by creating 99,999 Autocad points at the correct XYZ, attaching the correct object data to them, then exporting as a shp file. I went into the shp_name.dbf file and edited it to add the data I wanted by cutting & pasting from Excel. then I re-imported the shp file. but, this is a workaround at best.

Surely Map can import objects and their associated data fields, all populated with valid data! all I need is to know how to do it. I mean, if this is not something I can do directly using Map commands should I take the money I earned by surveying 99,999 MH's with my GIS data collector that allows me to assign 101data fields to each object I survey, and buy something better?

THANKS.

david

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
foxeec
in reply to: d_reno

My first question would be what format is it in now?

If its a shape file, and you want to import the points, use MAPIMPORT, select the shape file, and in the dialogue box, under 'Data', tell it 'create object data'.  You can also specify a layer to put them on, or assign them to blocks.

Lorrie

Message 3 of 15
Murph_Map

I think you need to Take 5 and call it a day.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 15
d_reno

Hi Lorrie,

Yes, the MAPIMPORT of a shp file does exactly what I want to do. I have a drawing going now that I imported 62 separate shp files provided me by a consultant using some other software (not ESRI). 

My data is data that I had to supplement what the consultant gave me. The data is in the form of a comma delimited ascii file, or whatever else I can dream up using Excel or Trimble Geomatics Office. TGO does export to a shp file, but the attributes available for export are grossly lacking in choice. furthermore, I only used TGO to try to process my point data in order to get ellipsoid heights based on the coordinate system I am in.

I'm sure that Trimble probably makes an office product, like Pathfinder Office, that will export what I need based on how I collect the data using a Trimble GPS device. But, this doesn't solve my problem now - how to import object data in an ascii file to points with several data fields populated based on what it reads in the ascii file (besides the XYZ insertion point).

thanks for reading and for any input you might have!

dr

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 5 of 15
Murph_Map

You need to st up an ODBC connection and bring the points and data in that way if you want all the attributes. You can use the Civil3D points import also and try to set up a custom format. Then you would need to create the point label style to get all the attributes.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 15
Murph_Map

Message 7 of 15
d_reno
in reply to: Murph_Map

thanks, Murph!

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 8 of 15
foxeec

Nice article Murph - I hadn't seen that one.

As a side note Dave, I'm able to export shape files out of TGO with attributes.  Its not the best program to work with, but I'm able to get out points with 10-12 attributes attached to it in shp files.  Not sure if there's a limit on the amount of attributes it'll export.

Lorrie

Message 9 of 15
d_reno
in reply to: foxeec

Really! Maybe my version of TGO is too old? I have v1.60. Attached is a screen shot that shows my limited attribute options using Export, GIS, ESRI SHp file - points. Maybe I am not doing it correctly?

thanks for your input!

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 10 of 15
foxeec

I'm running v1.63, but that shouldn't really matter for this, since I've been doing it since I first got TGO, years ago.  When exporting, try selecting the top option 'Arcview shape files - points & lines (.dbf, .shp, .shx).  this will send you to a new dialogue box.  I select everything on the left side, then hit export.  It should give you shape files with attributes.

Lorrie

Message 11 of 15
d_reno

Yeah, that looks similar to what the Points dialog looks like. My issue is that if I have a point with attached attributes named (for example) Material, Depth, Invert Elevation, Pipe Size1, Pipe Direction1, etc. I don't see a way to export this sort of data to a shp file.

thanks for your input!

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 12 of 15
foxeec

There isn't a box or anything to select to choose the attributes. It may be based on the 'Feature Code' selection in the dialogue box - if the particular Feature Code has attributes, it includes them?  I just know that when I hit 'ok', the shape files are generated with the attributes. 

Lorrie

Message 13 of 15
d_reno

OK, cool. I will give it a shot, this sounds like it will be useful. one more question (then it's time to enjoy the weekend) - are you able to title the attribute fields? for example in the drawing I am working in now I have a field called "penValSpecified." the data is how much an object is above or below a surface. is it smart enough to know that this number above or below is penValSpecified? is there a way to define object data fields perhaps?

thanks to you and Murph for all your help!

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 14 of 15
foxeec

The attribute fields that are generated by the shape file exported from TGO are based on the attributes you set up in your Feature Code Library.

If you currently have the Object Data Table set up in Map, and if you have a shape file with that information on it, you can specify which field you want that attribute to go to.   (For ex.:  if my shape file has a field name of ‘Type’, but my Object Data Table has a field named ‘penValSpecified’, I can simply select that while I’m inside the Mapimport command (see attached) and the information will go to the correct field in the OD table.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Also, yes, it is possible to define the Object Data fields.  Use the ADEDEFDATA command, and you should be able to select an existing OD table and modify it, or create a new table, which you can populate with all the fields you want.  Then when you import a shapefile, you simply select that particular OD table to have the attributes go to.

Hope that all makes sense.

Message 15 of 15
h2omusc
in reply to: Murph_Map

I have a project/problem that sounds similar to d_reno's and sounds like he is working on AGIS stuff after I saw the post about the penValSupplemental.  I followed the link to Murph's blog and got that procedure to work for me, but would like to create AutoCAD points with the data from my csv file as attributes for the points as object data.

Back to the beginning, I have (or can create easily) an Excel spreadsheet which can of course be converted to csv of all the information/attributes required to be attached to my points (control points, obstructions, nav aids, etc).  I also have a template that contains all the object data tables that I need for the different kinds of points which will be on different layers.  Right now I have 2 ways of doing this now:  1) import the points using just the coords from the csv, attaching the built in object data tables and then manually populating the attribute fields, 2) using ArcGIS import the points with the attribute data and create a SHP file, and then import this into CAD.  The problem with #2 is I am not experienced with ArcGIS so our GIS tech has to do that and it's not very efficient, so I am trying to "eliminate the middle man".

So the idea is to be able import the points directly from the csv and have all the object data populate.  Or I suppose I can do Murph's procedure and then convert the feature data to AutoCAD as long as the feature properties could be converted to attribute data in the object data table.  Hope that makes sense.  I will attach my Excel spreadsheet with my data.

Thanks,

Caleb

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost