AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import data from files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
davidm889
832 Views, 6 Replies

Import data from files

I want to import a csv file into map3D and set the layers to which the blocks with attributes are inserted on. I've found in the help guide that using

Click Home tab > Data panel > Import From Files > mapimport.

Problem is, when I do this, I do not get the dialog that the help file says I should, like a place to define an insert layer or schema. All I get is the plain dialog that asks for formatting (file format such as autodesk uploadable file), Z unit, Coordinate system, and create block.

I also want to export the attribute data into a survey point file.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
antoniovinci
in reply to: davidm889

It behaves so, because you must declare how your .CSV is formatted, i.e. what's the meaning of the fields.

Please copy and paste here a couple of .CSV lines, thx.

Message 3 of 7
davidm889
in reply to: antoniovinci

This is from the help file

In the table, you can specify properties for each input layer (sometimes called a schema, level, or file).

To import an input layer, select its check box. To change other settings for an input layer, click in the field to change. Click the down arrow to choose from a list of choices, or click for additional choices.

To sort on a specific column, right-click the column heading. Click Sort Ascending or Sort Descending.

see dialog box,jpg attached nothing like this shows up on my dialog box

here is the first few lines of the csv file.(point number, Northing, Easting, elevation, description)

121913436526767471.9744.667curb cut
122113436525767499.7744.605curb
122213436524767521.2744.54curb
122313436525767526.5744.501curb

St Drain

Message 4 of 7
davidm889

Maybe to simplify things I'll explain what I'm really trying to do.

I have GPS data in a CSV file. I want to import that data into map so that I have a block with attribute info. I also want that block to be on seperate layers based on the description, so all the curb shots are on layer curb, etc... this will allow me to insert my blocks - like catchbasins and manholes - and connect the points between relevant features.like curbs and edge of bit.

I've been able to import the blocks, but not on specific layers. I've also brought the points in via a survey data store which I like because the data is in a table, but I do not like the formatting of the data having to use the style tool, there is no real seperation.

Message 5 of 7
hence_the_name

Hi,

not sure if that helps. When you import a SHP file you can put import data on different layers depending on an attribute in the import data set. This option doesn't seem to be available when importing CSV files.

Have a look at the SHP import - the import dialog box has an option called "drawing layer" (or something similar) - clicking on it opens a new dialog box where you can specifiy which data goes where.

If that helps you would need to convert your CSV file into a SHP file (or any other import file format Map can process via mapimport). I suppose there a free tools available for that.

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 6 of 7
davidm889
in reply to: hence_the_name

I don't know if i can convert a CSV file to a SHP file.

I'm very frustrated, I would think importing GPS points into a GIS program would be much more refined.

Message 7 of 7
hence_the_name

low frustration level? Get used to the shortcomings of Map as it is mainly a CAD with additional GIS functionality.

But it is quite flexible if you are willing to work around things.

with regards to CSV to Shp: https://www.google.de/search?q=convert+csv+to+shp

good luck

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost