AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Import Coordinate PRJ File to Coordinate Library Civil3d / Map3D

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cosmojr
6111 Views, 4 Replies

How To Import Coordinate PRJ File to Coordinate Library Civil3d / Map3D

I have a custom coordinate system for a county that does not appear in the coordinate library of Civil3D 2014.  I have this in a PRJ file that I created after receiving a drawing with it assigned to it back when I was using Civil3D 2012.  When I received the drawing I believe it asked me if I wanted to import it as it is not present in the library.  It worked and I was able to use it many times.  I have lost this drawing so I can not repeat the process.

I'm thinking there should be a way to import this PRJ file.  Any thoughts?

The county is St Louis in Minnesota. 

I have tried to create one by using the values in the PRJ file but I have not been successful.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
phil_borycens
in reply to: cosmojr

Hi there,

There is no interface to add a coordinate system to the Map CS Library via ESRI PRJ file. Really I can think of three options that you might have:

1. As you mentioned, if someone has a DWG with the CS assigned to it already, obtain a copy and open it on the newly installed Map or Civil 3D.

2. This one comes from the Map 3D 2014 readme. If another user has this custom CS in their CS Library already, here is another way to obtain it:
User definitions are now separated from the installed coordinate system dictionaries and stored at: c:\Users\XXXcurrentuserXXX\AppData\Local\Autodesk\User Geospatial Coordinate Systems. User definitions can be exchanged with another user by copying the entire file in the same location on another machine.

3. Open the PRJ in a text editor and use MAPCSCREATE to build a custom coordinate system from its parameters. However, as you have already experienced, matching the PRJ parameters to the Map 3D CS parameters can be tricky.

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 5
neuses
in reply to: phil_borycens

hi. I want install this coordinate system on my autodeskmap 3d.

http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4918/

What I should do now ??

if anyone can this step. send me pic instruction

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
phil_borycens
in reply to: neuses

Hi neuses,

It's best to start a new thread to discuss a separate (even if related) issue.

However the basic idea is to look at the WKT of the CS that you wish to add, and then in AutoCAD Map or Civil, start the Create Coordinate System wizard (MAPCSCREATE command). At that point it's just a matching game. Sometimes the names of the parameters aren't exactly the same from the agency who defines the CS vs. the parameter names in AutoCAD.

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 5
neuses
in reply to: phil_borycens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost