AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically assign a scaled block to a point feature

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
MyDigitalParadise
2278 Views, 21 Replies

How to automatically assign a scaled block to a point feature

I know it can be done but have had little luck finding how.  I need to Convert GIS features to an engineering friendly cad file and I'm stumped at the point of assigning blocks to the points.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also another issue is that I would often need to assign those blocks based on field values.  Noob questions I know but it's my one critical step I've not sorted out.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Hi,

>> I need to Convert GIS features

What type of "GIS features" do you have?

It might be possible that command _MAPIMPORT is a help, but at least we should know what you have (more exactly than described)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 22

I have point features in a GeoDatabase (utility features).  It is easy to export out a CAD file but I need to apply blocks to make those points actually visible.   When I just export out the points from ArcGIS to CAD they are simple 1pt dots in the file so I am looking for a way to use AutoCAD map to pull in those fetures into my AutoCAD map 2011 and then save out the results in a basic CAD format our engineering department can use. with their standard CAD licenses.  (I.E. 2D flat basic CAD files in basic arcitectural scale)

Message 4 of 22

Set PDMODE=35 then perform a _REGEN, sir.

Message 5 of 22

Well that will make the points nicely visible and is one option for me but I wish to apply a cad block to each point and really need to be able to do that.  So if you can help to that next point I'd really appriciate it.

Message 6 of 22

Hi,

>> I wish to apply a cad block to each point

My first tip was: command _MAPIMPORT ==> that does what you want. Not looked at it?

E.g. export your data from ArcGIS as SHP, then start command _MAPIMPORT in Map3D, after selecting this SHP you get to a dialog where you can select a block in the last column (the block-definition has to exist in the current drawing).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 22

I'm not back to work yet so I've not been able to try it.  Your example will make it much easier to try.

I'll let you know if that works.

Message 8 of 22
Blayr15
in reply to: MyDigitalParadise

Hi,

I am currently having the same sort of problem but in my case when i use the mapimport command and try to set the GIS data to blocks, the option is greyed out and I cannot figure out why.

Message 9 of 22
Murph_Map
in reply to: Blayr15

@Blayr15 wrote:

Hi,

I am currently having the same sort of problem but in my case when i use the mapimport command and try to set the GIS data to blocks, the option is greyed out and I cannot figure out why.

Do you have any instances of the block(s) in the dwg? 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 10 of 22
Blayr15
in reply to: Murph_Map

Yes, the dwg has the blocks already set and displayed as a palette. The points I am trying to import from the .shp do not give me the option to create as blocks, it is grayed out.  

Message 11 of 22
Olga_Shevchenko

Sorry for my opinion, but I'm sure there are no blocks in your drawing. The list of names is empty. Insert any block to your drawing and retry import points, please

Message 12 of 22
Blayr15
in reply to: Olga_Shevchenko

<<< Sorry for my opinion, but I'm sure there are no blocks in your drawing. The list of names is empty. Insert any block to your drawing and retry import points, please>>> Thanks so much for that tip! That option has been enabled and the blocks were inserted but now I cannot see them. 

Message 13 of 22
Olga_Shevchenko

Do you have inserted unnamed blocks?

Message 14 of 22
Blayr15

No, the block names are all listed. There is only one block chosen and the import states that 344 objects were found under the block name and inserted but nothing is showing up. I can't select anything nor do they show up when zoomed to the extent of the drawing.

Message 15 of 22
Blayr15

Here is how I imported the points using a similar file... they say they are inserted but nothing shows up besides the one block I added into the drawing before importing. 

Message 16 of 22
Olga_Shevchenko

Yes, the blocks displayed at your palette are not inserted in your drawing. So you can't use them for import.

Message 17 of 22
Murph_Map

Try a Zoom extents. If you still don't see the blocks then you need to check the insertion point of the block in the block definition. Open the block with the bedit command and see if coordinate 0,0 is the center of the geometry.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 18 of 22
Blayr15
in reply to: Murph_Map

I have tried the zoom extent with no luck... I am starting to think that it has something to do with the fact that the blocks are annotative because the non annotative points work fine but thats through data connect and not map import. Do you guys know anything about importing annotative blocks vs non annotative from .shp files?

Message 19 of 22
Blayr15

So, I have figured out the import issue and it was because of the block being annotative vs non annotative. BUT, now I am stuck between a decision of whether to write a script to change the blocks to non annotative for importing and then back to annotative afterwards; or use the block replace command to replace "dummy blocks' (the non annotative ones) with the real (annotative) blocks after importing... Any suggestions???

Message 20 of 22
Olga_Shevchenko

It seems to me, it would be easier to add the required annotative scales to the Object Scale List. This operation can be performed for all annotative blocks at once.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost