AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatch islands from AutoCAD to ArcMap

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
katydidnt
1876 Views, 10 Replies

Hatch islands from AutoCAD to ArcMap

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem:

I have hatched some polygons in an AutoCAD 2007 file. They are polygons of golf greens, tees, and fairways and I hatched them as separate hatches. In AutoCAD the islands or holes in the middle are fine. When our GIS person brings them into ArcMap, the holes are not there, it is one solid fill. I don't know if the problem can be fixed in ArcMap as I am not much of an ArcMap user but is there something I can do different in AutoCAD to solve the problem? Or does anyone know a fix in ArcMap?

Thanks,
Katy
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Can you post one of the polygons as a dwg and I can see if I can get it to work? If I understand you have a polygon with a hole in the middle. And when you bring it in to Arc map the polygon is there but no hole in the middle.
Message 3 of 11
katydidnt
in reply to: katydidnt

Attached is a sample area with the polygons hatched. I saved it as a 2004 dwg. The problem hatches are mostly the fairways with the islands/holes. Thanks for looking at it.

Our GIS person has done a time consuming workaround for now but it will be nice to solve the issue as we have other golf courses coming up.
Message 4 of 11

Well with that kind of drawing it is kind of hard to do it from map. What you can do is export the outlines first then the holes second. Then in Arc map subtract the holes from the outlines. Or what I did was exported it all as a line shp file then in arc map you can create polygons from lines and delete out the holes.

So I don’t think I have answered your question. But it can be done.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Use the mpolygon command. It's on the polygon toolbar (create polygon).

Command: mpolygon

Specify start point or [Fill/Select objects/eXit]
Message 6 of 11
katydidnt

Thank you Murph 🙂 It works perfectly!
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Your welcome ms didnt.
:)

Murph

wrote in message news:5631567@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thank you Murph 🙂 It works perfectly!
Message 8 of 11
JohnPM

I am glad we archive these discussions. I was looking for a solution to this problem.

John
Message 9 of 11
msisler

Nice!  Five years later and mpolygon is still the way to go.

You CAD!
Message 10 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: msisler

msisler wrote:

mpolygon is still the way to go.

Not only, sir: a clever alternative is to create a polygon topology of your areas, then _MAPEXPORT it to .SHP format.

Message 11 of 11
Murph_Map
in reply to: antoniovinci

@antoniovinci wrote:

@msisler wrote:

mpolygon is still the way to go.

Not only, sir: a clever alternative is to create a polygon topology of your areas, then _MAPEXPORT it to .SHP format.

Always more than one way to accomplish things in AutoCad.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost