AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIS Coordinate System: Unrecognized

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Baz_man1
1748 Views, 5 Replies

GIS Coordinate System: Unrecognized

I have a problem that was first noticed while attemtping to bring imagery in from a WMS server. I had the drawing set up in an UTM coordinate system but the data for the image was in LL84 (EPSG 4326). The image would come in with a geographic appearance (distorted) and did not project to UTM properly (no error message).

I then set up a test drawing with the LL84 coordinate system. I received an error message in the system tray at the bottom of Civil 2014 that stated 'GIS Coordinate System: Unrecognized'.

I have tried this on more than one station in my group which would mean the probability of a bad installation or corrupted coordinate system file(s) is low.

It would seem that if the LL84 file is not being read, is corrupt or missing then maybe the WMS cannot be properly projected under these circumstances.

Has anybody encountered this and have a solution?

Thanks,

Barry

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
antoniovinci
in reply to: Baz_man1

Please paste here that WMS address, thx.

Message 3 of 6

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your post.

I agree with Antonio that it would be nice to get the WMS URL to test, but I do have an observation and some suggestions to share.

Likely the message you are seeing about 'GIS Coordinate System: Unrecognized' is due to the coordinate system integration that happened with standard AutoCAD starting in the 2014 release. In non-Map (and non-Civil) AutoCAD, the coordinate system library does NOT contain geographic coordinate systems (such as LL84).

So in the drawing, can you use MAPCSASSIGN to first assign LL84 (before you try bringing in the WMS data)?

Also, you might check to see if the WMS serves data in other coordinate systems. Have you notuced how in the Data Connect interface, for each layer, there is a Server CS code and a Layer CS code? Sometimes you can open those drop-downs and get other choices.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Phil

Phil Borycens
Message 4 of 6
Baz_man1
in reply to: phil_borycens

Hmmm...I didn't get an email update that there were answers to my post despite having that checked off (??)

Anyway, as much as I'd like to post the WMS I cannot. it is not a public one and belongs to one of my company's clients.

I was able to assign the LL84 coordiante system and the result was the same as when I had a UTM system assigned.

The WMS only has the one coordiante system for each data set and they do have the recognized code.

Suggestions?

Message 5 of 6
Baz_man1

Okay, I will clarify somewhat. I tried to assign LL84 to a new drawing and get the 'unrecognized coordinate system' message.

Message 6 of 6
phil_borycens

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the clarification. I just tried it in my Civil 3D 2014 and I see the same thing when assigning LL84 to a DWG (Unrecognized, for the AutoCAD coordinate system).

Not to worry though; from the Map 3D 2014 readme:

If a geographic or arbitrary coordinate system is assigned to the Map, it will not be supported by the AutoCAD GEOGRAPHICLOCATION command, which only supports projected coordinate systems. This command will then behave as if the Map is not geo-referenced. As a result, the geo-marker field in the main status bar will display “Unrecognized” instead of the coordinate system name.

If you really want peace of mind that your current coordinates are correct, open the Track Coordinates tool and add as many CS'es as you want (LL84, your UTM CS, and any others). Now hover around your project; correct coordinates should appear. So even though the AutoCAD CS is not recognized, your project should be in its correct location.

Hope that helps and thanks again for posting!

Phil Borycens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost