AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GeoTIF Greyed Out in Layout

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
BrianHailey
1407 Views, 17 Replies

GeoTIF Greyed Out in Layout

Howdy all,

I downloaded some GeoTIFs from Nationmap.gov. I attched them using FDO and when I view them in a layout tab, they are all greyed back and almost looks inversed but not quite. Any ideas on how to adjust the images so it looks correct?

I'm using Civil 3D 2013 SP1.

I just tried it again with the MAPIINSERT command and I'm getting something similar.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Hi,

is it the same on plot or plot-preview?

Is it the same if you first convert it to a JPG or ECW and connect that file(s)?

What is the visual-style setting of this viewport?

If it's inserted with MAPIINSERT then it has a layer, is the layer's setting modified for this viewport?

At least (what might help): Upload this drawing with this layout only and with one of the TIFFs. So I can try to replace the reference to one of my TIFFs and I can then use your viewport to try it on my system.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for the suggestions. This file was created using the default Civil 3D template. It does appear the same way when plotting to pdf (as well as the plot preview).

HERE is a link to download the exact file I downloaded from nationalmap.gov (it's my dropbox account so if you are reading this a long time after this post, I've probably removed the file). Set the drawing coordinate system to wy83-ef (or another east wyoming coordinate system).

HERE is a video showing exactly what I did to attach the images.

I thought I might be able to get around this by plotting from model space but the plot looks the same either way (i.e. not good).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 18

Hi,

my result is a little bit different. What I tried and what I got:

I always started with my template (for the tests I dis for now), that is the Austrian CK template.

I also run Civil3D 2013 x64 SP1 German on Win7 x64

When I load the JPG, it looks good in every case, either loading it via FDO or via MAPIINSERT, it looks good on modelspace and within a new viewport.

When I load the TIFF, it's all ok (modelspace and paperspace) when I use MAPIINSERT. But when I use FDO to reference the image to my template it looks faded in both situtions, modelspace and paperspace.

The next test was to use the template you showed as your default one (_AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt), again same results as above, so I see no difference for the drawings/templates we used.

Now I tried to save the TIFF as LZW-compressed TIFF (using IrfanView) and restarted Civil3D, cleaned the cache (command _MAPOPTIONS, tab "System") and retried loading the TIFF. Now both versions, FDO and MAPIINSERT are working as designed.

Let me know if that works for you too (I hope so)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 18

Hi,

if it's a help: Map3D has the same problem, at least with FDO/_MAPCONNECT, the uncompressed TIFF also looks like faded out with FDO,

The difference is: it looks ok with _MAPIINSERT.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 18

Aha! It seems to have something to do with the cooridnate system. If I insert them without defining a coordinate system first, they look just fine but if I assign the WY83-EF coordinate system to the drawing and then bring the images in, they get all funky on me.

Alfred, did you assign the coordinate system prior to testing this?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 18

Hi,

>> Alfred, did you assign the coordinate system prior to testing this?

It might depend on it, but I first tested with and without setting the ADESETCRSYS with your original file. All my later tests did not set it as my first result was "does not depend". So I have not tried if my compressed file would show the same error when the projection is active. Sorry if that really is the reason and I missed it.

Currently I can't check it again as I run out of time. I'll try it later.

- alfred

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 18

Hi,

ok, looking to your idea with Civil3D and Map3D (each version 2013) I guess you are fully right!

Setting ADESETCRDSYS before doing _MAPIINSERT fades the TIFF to grey (with Civil3D and Map3D), but for me it does not make troubles with the JPG, does it fade out the JPG on your workstation?

All my tries no were only with _MAPIINSERT and with just the TIF/TFW and JPG/JGW, all other files I have not had in the testfolder now.

I did one try with Civil3D2012 (x64 German) and there the TIF/TFW does not fade out (having set ADESETCRDSYS first).

Sorry for not beeing a help (well, maybe the JPG works for you).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 18

Unfortunately, the jpg files are much smaller and have much less detail then the tif files do so that won't work for me. I'll give it a try in 2012 and see if it works better there.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 18

Hi,

>> Unfortunately, the jpg files are much smaller and have much less detail

When converting to JPG you will have the chance to define resolution and compression. So it does not have to be less quality with JPG. Anyway you also can convert to any other raster-format with geo-informations (e.g. mrsid, ecw).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 18

The problem can be solved by this way. You could change a color that is transparent (use a lightest color).

Besides you could insert a JPG-image as a background. 

Message 12 of 18

Hi,

good workaround! Is there any description why this depends from a coordinate-system set or not set?

Another question: What can you do when you have to reference that object using FDO? There you can see the "transparency color" as option in the property window, but you can't change it.

[EDIT] found the setting within MAPWSPACE ==> FDO-Stylization [/EDIT]

But thank you for that workaround!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 18

Hi,

it seems to me, that it doesn't depend upon CSS, rather upon GeoTiff. Look for the alpha channel, BlackColor  is transparent.
If FDO connection is used one needs both images to be pre-loaded, JPG is to be used as a background for GeoTiff

Look here, please

Message 14 of 18

Hi 🙂

If FDO connection is used, you need to change Trancparency Color here. )))

15.01.png

Message 15 of 18

That seems to do the trick. Thanks!

I'm just glad that I only have six images to do this to and not 30 or 40. 🙂

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 16 of 18

BrianHailey написано:

That seems to do the trick. Thanks!

I'm just glad that I only have six images to do this to and not 30 or 40. 🙂

You are welcome 🙂

I'm agree with you, this is a very exciting activity... Smiley LOL

Try to use _matchprop or use the FDO and combine all images into one layer

PS Don't use _MAPCSASSIGN (  don't set the drawing coordinate system to WY83-EF) while GeoTIFF is opened by FDO Connection and before this

Message 17 of 18

This is another way, but it does not work sometimes.

Message 18 of 18
DPeck68
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thank you!! I've been trying to solve this for the past few days. Sometimes my images would come in using MAPIINSERT just fine and other times the same image in the same drawing would come in "faded." It was very frustrating to say the least. This solution worked perfect for me. Now I wonder if there is a system variable that can be changed to keep in from happening in the first place?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost