AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

geomap and plotting

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
alloverbyheli
5615 Views, 12 Replies

geomap and plotting

Hello All,

I am using the geomap command to display a hybrid sat and road map behind a dwg in 2014Map3D.  It displays fine on my monitor, but when I plot (whether to a plotter or to pdf) it does not include the background image map, just the vector part of the dwg.  Is this a limitation of the geomap command or is it something I can fix?  Usually my work is in locations where I can get raster topo and this plots fine as a background, however on the odd occasion the work is somewhere in the world where raster topo is not available and geomap is better than nothing.  I can always import the dwg into Global Mapper from Blue Marble and bring in background imaging there, but then I can't plot at a specific scale.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Sawyer
Flight Planning - CGG, Airborne Acquisition Division (Toronto)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I fear the Geomap content won't be printable because of copyright issues, sir.

Message 3 of 13
braudpat
in reply to: alloverbyheli

Hello from France

AutoCAD 2014 & Bing Maps : you can see BUT you can't print/plot !

So I keep my old MAP 2011/2012 with the Good Old Google Earth Plugin from Autodesk ...

or you can buy software from Plexearth - www.plexearth.com - Cost is 180 Euros in Europ

Bye, Pat

PS: if somebody has an other solution, I will appreciate !

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 13

Thanks,

I suspected that it would not let me plot the bing map.  It was the same issue of copyright I believe when Autodesk Labs stopped updating the Google Earth plugin in 2011.  As I mentioned, I can open the dwg in Global Mapper and then bring in various background maps such as a road and then a sat image, play with the opacities so they blend nicely, but then I don't have control on the printed scale.  Global Mapper can also export out a kmz of the dwg, but GE doesn't let me control scale either beyond zoom level.  Maybe something like Mapinfo would allow me the control I want, but I don't have access to other GIS softwares at this time.

Chris Sawyer
Flight Planning - CGG, Airborne Acquisition Division (Toronto)
Message 5 of 13

Again Autodesk make an unfinished concept, but they declare "the new feature".

Let's to see how can you solve this issue :

1. Create a rectangle of your zone it would be proportional with your plot scale, the good choice is to make small 2 cross marker (point) (diagonal).

2. Make a screen capture with any good tools (you can find free a lot of) and save the picture, leave only the points marker and the aerial images on the screen.

3. Insert picture and make a move and scale using these 2 points is enough. Also can you use map command transform. Now the image is on real scale, put over your vector and you can plot the image ms/ps. Smiley Wink

Albert Kalman

Message 6 of 13

Well, in a georeferenced environment, you should not advise PrntScr or similar, sir.

You'd better load the Bing zone in a free Gis tool (e.g. Quantum), then save as a TIF/TFW pair to be _MAPIINSERTed back in Autocad.

Message 7 of 13

No sir, you can do screen capture because the geomap image and the rectangle  is in the same  referenced system "What you see is what you got". And my rectangle is draw in referenced environment and when you reinsert again the image you need to recalibrate the image (with move and scale) in the same situation over the rectangle, your rectangle is in the same referenced position. It's like a scan paper which need to recalibrate.

Try it and you will have a suprize. Smiley Wink

Albert Kalman

Message 8 of 13

If you have the image in Global Mapper 14 use the Raster Export and export as an Geo Referenced ecw or tiff file. You can then insert the image in C3D.

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys

Message 9 of 13
Brently

there is a National map Server that will let you download just about any GIS data you need you can download an image file on state plane coordinates and overlay using Map in Civ 3d. give it a try it will let you print the image along with your Cad overlay

Give it a try

http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html

Brently

Message 10 of 13
antoniovinci
in reply to: Brently

Brently wrote: 

http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html

Sounds like covering only the USA, whilst the OP lives in Canada, sir... 

Message 11 of 13
Brently

Sorry but not everyone who reads this thread is from Canada. Sorry if that offends your intellect but its a big world out there and this is a solution for users in the U.S.

Message 12 of 13
ylaimoun

I was considering another workaround, and then found that using the capture area under the Geolocation tab works just fine. By selecting the image object your also given control over display type and resolution.

I'm using autocad 2015 and have installed the geolocation hotfix.

Hope that helps

Message 13 of 13
Murph_Map
in reply to: ylaimoun

@ylaimoun wrote:

I was considering another workaround, and then found that using the capture area under the Geolocation tab works just fine. By selecting the image object your also given control over display type and resolution.

I'm using autocad 2015 and have installed the geolocation hotfix.

Hope that helps

Capture is only in 2015 versions of AutoCAD 2014 had the view only. The OP is using 2014 version. Also if the OP sees this there is a Canadian version of the National Maps for the USA if you google for it. (I lost the link to it years ago.)

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost