AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic CADD

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
robertm
6179 Views, 23 Replies

Generic CADD

I have an old Generic CADD .gcd file. Unfortunately the original software is on floppy disks and I don't have an "A drive" so I can't load the program and convert the files to a .dxf. Is there any utility out there that can convert a .gcd file to .dwg?
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: robertm

Generic Cad eventaully became Visual Cad (Numera Software). Visual Cad is
able to open GCD files but I don't know if you can find it anywhere either.
Try searching on those clues.
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous

Hello Robert,

Reply to me directly with your email address and I will forward you a
conversion utility that was included with I think, AutoCAD LT v2. Converts
.gcd files to AutoCAD R12 .dwg

It runs through a DOS window & works very well under the circumstances.

Cheers.

Ric Norris.

wrote in message news:6288222@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have an old Generic CADD .gcd file. Unfortunately the original software
is on floppy disks and I don't have an "A drive" so I can't load the program
and convert the files to a .dxf. Is there any utility out there that can
convert a .gcd file to .dwg?
Message 4 of 24
robertm

robertm@eapdd.com
Message 5 of 24
snake1978

Hello Ric,

I've been looking for such a converter for some time now, can you send it to me as well?

snakeman@home.se

Thanks
Dave
Message 6 of 24
robertm

Downloaded a trial copy of Visual Cad; was able to open the gcd file and save it as a dwg. It looks pretty funky, and a fair amount of work is required to clean it up and adjust it so it can work in ACMv2010, but it's one option that beats re-drawing. Thanks for the tip.

Robert
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

Sorry to hear it is not a good translation. I never had to go that route as
I left the company and never had to translate the files to DWG.

By the way, Corel owned Visual CAD for a time, in case that helps in some
way.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4608 (20091114) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com
Message 8 of 24
ericscampbell

I too have been searching for this tool for quite a while.... If it isn't too much trouble I would really appreciate a copy of the conversion utility.

eric_campbell@cleanair.com

Thanks in advance!
Message 9 of 24
phons

I have been using Generic Cadd 3.0 in about 1989. It has this wonderfull feater of loading a txt file.

I still have the program and have it running on an old Dos system. But I cannot find the user instruction manual.

I would be very happy if some-one could either sent me een a copy of the entire manual, or could tell me the instruction of importing the txt file in the program.

Thank you very much.

Phons

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 24
HCasey
in reply to: phons

I would like a copy of the convertor file to turn GCD files into DXF files.

Thanks.

Helen Casey

Message 11 of 24
darnell

Ric

I also need to convert Generic Cad files.

Could you send me thecoverter as well.

Ian Darnell

Thanks

darnell@nspire.com.au

Message 12 of 24
Peohguy

I have Generic CADD Level 3 and the instruction book.  It is much too thick to copy and send.  I have looked up Text files in the three indexes, , that is, the main instruction book, the "Desk Convert" section and the "Dot Plot" section and I couldn't locate anything about txt files that would be of any help.

Aha! As is the usual case after saying I can't I find something that says I Can!  I did locate a section on Batch Files that refers to ASCII text files that must end with the extension .TXT.

Now that is something that I can either copy (6 pages)  and snail mail or scan and email to you.  Give me your druthers and I will make it so, number 1.

Message 13 of 24
Peohguy
in reply to: HCasey

Would that be for CADD 6?

I have CADD 6 as well as Level 3 and could possibly send you a copy once I figure out how to locate it in my directory, i.e., what is it called.  Please advise and I will be glad to help.

Message 14 of 24
Peohguy
in reply to: Peohguy

Does anyone know how to configure Generic CADD 6 for accessing a USB port. If so how is it done?

Also if possible to access a USB port then is it possible to develop or write a driver or TPR for printing to a HP Photosmart C7250 All-in-One printer.  How would I go about it?

Any help or any answer anyone can give me would be great.

Thanx,

Peohguy

Message 15 of 24
Murph_Map
in reply to: Peohguy

I don't know how you all ended up in here but you did read the sign on the door  that says "AutoCAD MAP3D" Nothing Generic about it but if you fell in here by mistake you might get answers you looking for elsewhere.

Feel free to stay we can use the business but be aware we may not have the answer in here.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 16 of 24
Peohguy
in reply to: darnell

Thanx Murph,

At least there's someone out there that reads the questions and takes time to provide the answers.

I was following a Generic CADD string of questions and I threw mine in the pot hopping someone with the same Generic CADD interests as mine would respond and be able to help.  OH well Dinosaurs don't  engender much sympathy, mostly fear.

Message 17 of 24
Peohguy

Phonos,

Here's the Batch file instruction below: I scanned it as a rtf file and this system wouldn't allow it as an attachement so I just copied and pasted it in the body of the post

Ciao Ciao and  

Best Regards,

Peohguy

BATCH FILES

Batch files provide another method for entering multiple commands automatically. Any number of regular Generic CADD Level 3 commands can be combined in a text file and called up at any time. All batch files must be standard ASCII text files, and their file names must end with the extension. TXT.

Unlike menu files, the number of commands which can be combined is not limited to a single 80 character line. When the batch file is done with one line, it moves on to the next. Each line must end with a semi-colon.

DESCRIPTION

ASCII FILES

NOT LIMITED TOaO CHARACTERS

Batch files can contain anything that you can type from

the keyboard, as long as each new piece of information is ANY

separated from any other by a comma. A batch file can use COMBINATION the tilde (-) and the AT (@) sign prompt for user input, the OF COMMANDS same way a video or digitizer menu uses these symbols in

macros (see Appendix A, "CUSTOM MENUS"). A simple

~ batch file to set the drawing LIMITS to 24"x36", set the EXAMPLE:

GRID SIZE to 1/2", turn on SNAP TO GRID, do a ZOOM ALL, and draw a border around the screen 1(2" in from the edge might look like this:

LS,24,36; GS,.5; SG;

ZA;

LI; 0.5,0.5; 35.5,0.5; 35.5,23.5; 0.5,23.5; 0.5,0.5; PU;

(LIMITS command, height=24, width=36) (GRID SIZE command, size=.5)

(SNAP TO GRID command)

(ZOOM ALL command)

(LINE command, not strictly required) (first point of line)

(second point of line)

(third point of line)

(fourth point of line)

(return to first point)

(pEN UP command, kills rubber band)

The notes in parenthesis are for explanation only, and are not allowed in the batch file itself.

Generic CADD Level 3

BATCH

B-1

SPECIAL

BATCH Three special commands are used in conjunction with

COMMANDS batch files and are described on the following pages.

BATCH FILE LINES CAN BE COMBINED

START WITH SEPARATE COMMANDS, THEN COMBINE TO CREATE POWERFUL MACROS

In the above example, each command and each point of the line command is on a separate line for clarity. This is not required by the program, but it is often a good idea when debugging your batch meso If we wanted, we could combine the points into two lines like this:

LS,24,3();GS,.5;SG,zA; LI,0.5,0.5,35.5,0.5,35.5,23.5,0.5,23.5,0.5,0.5,PU;

Each line can be a maximum of 80 characters, and must end with a semi-colon (;). For designing batch files, it is probably a good idea to keep the commands separate until you have it working properly, but once you have developed a routine to do a certain job that you might want to incorporate several times in your batch file, or use in several batch files, you might want to compress it as we have done above. Note that in order to make the me as short as possible, we have removed the unnecessary LI command, and have incorporated the PU (pen Up) com­mand after the LINE command. This is so the rubber band will not end up attached to the last point entered.

Message 18 of 24
Peohguy
in reply to: darnell

Phonos,

I misplaced the other pages for the Batch File instructions for handling .txt files and found them b4 my i's so I rescanned them all in pdf and will see if this message machine will accept them.  Too long will have to send in 2 emails.

Best regards,

Peohguy

Message 19 of 24
Peohguy

Phonos,

Next attachement, Save & Load Batch, test files

Message 20 of 24
Peohguy

Phonos,

Last set for batch files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost