AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating links - not understanding

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
philsla
413 Views, 7 Replies

Generating links - not understanding

So, first off, let me say I am brand new to this. I have been getting crash lessons from the net, reading my books and today from a gentleman that does this sort of stuff all the time. He came by to show me how to import a database and link the objects in my dwg to the database. He did a great job and I tried to follow along to his rapid fire clicking and choosing. But, I was not able to take notes along the way. So when he left, after my 10 min. lesson, I attempted to re-create the steps he took and I have hit a brick wall.

I opened my dwg, did a map import of my shp files. In the task plane, I attached my db file. I then created a link template and chose the proper column with the unique identification number. Now, (I THINK) I am supposed to "generate links". I go through that process and it says 0 files linked. I know I am forgetting something he did just before this point. My map just shows closed polygons, with  no text. Most things I have found say you have to link text inside the polygons to the records. He did NOT do that. I am not sure what he did however.

When he was finished with our sample map, you could click on a line in table and it would zoom to the polygon on the map. My attempt does not do this. Help please!!!

Steve

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: philsla

Does your polygons have Object Data attached to them that has one field that matches one field in the database table? Did you create the OD when you imported it?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 8
philsla

I do have object data attached and my unique number that I am trying to link form the DB file is in the object data.

Message 4 of 8
antoniovinci

philsla wrote:

I do have object data attached

Before "generating links", your guru typed in _MAPOD2ASE in order to convert those embedded Object Data to Database Links, sir.

Message 5 of 8
philsla

Could very well be. I will give that a try. Then, I generate the links?

Message 6 of 8
antoniovinci

Ain't no Autocad at home, so I can't remember if _MAPOD2ASE just creates links instead of _ADEGENLINK, but I think so. 

Message 7 of 8
philsla

Those commands were not recognized. I failed to mention I was using an old version of Map, 2007

Message 8 of 8
antoniovinci

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost