AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Figuring out scaling....what am I doing?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wrightsville1
683 Views, 7 Replies

Figuring out scaling....what am I doing?

I didn't know where to post this and i have researched on the internet and still don't understand.

I have always worked with a map that is in Feet and Inches.  We are trying to work with the map in NAD83 now.  My problem is that people ask me all the time the print the map for them in different scales so they can sketch designs on the map.  They like scales like 1/8"=1'-0", 1/4"=1'-0"., 1"=20'-0"....and so on.

Is there a chart or a place I can find the formula to do this?  Is this possible with a NAD83 Map?

I would hate to have to keep 2 maps to keep things running.

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: wrightsville1

NAD is a datum not a complete coordinate system as far as units go. Are you using LL83 or a stateplane NAD83 coordinate system?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 8

state plane NAD83 coordinate system

Message 4 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: wrightsville1

If everything is in standard fett units then is just simple AutoCAD paperspace setups and vport scaling. Of course you need to edit the scale list and add some scales to it. At 1"-1' on a D size plot you only see about 36 feet of map. You should try using 1''- 100' or greater for mapping.

Murph
Message 5 of 8

So, with what Murph is leading you to, from Paper Space, check your viewport scale in the lower right corner of your screen when you activate your primary map view.  Here is where you can set the scale.

Also, make sure you work with a text style that is "annotative" and not hard-set for height (i.e. 10 or 20 drawing units).  Instead, if you work with annotative text, it will automatically scale up to be your determined height on the printed page as a relation to your viewport scale.  This means that you no longer have to maintain 2 or more text layers for your different maps' scales.

Hope this helps!

TdH

Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your help.  I will try this out 🙂

Message 7 of 8

Eeeeeeee.... Annotation scales ........ ONLY as long as you use it for standard auto text/blocks. Using FDO the style settings works better or if you are using Civil 3D stay away from the anno texts.

Also open up the Viewports toolbar it will let you switch the viewport scale with a click.

@toddhepworth4253 wrote:

So, with what Murph is leading you to, from Paper Space, check your viewport scale in the lower right corner of your screen when you activate your primary map view.  Here is where you can set the scale.

Also, make sure you work with a text style that is "annotative" and not hard-set for height (i.e. 10 or 20 drawing units).  Instead, if you work with annotative text, it will automatically scale up to be your determined height on the printed page as a relation to your viewport scale.  This means that you no longer have to maintain 2 or more text layers for your different maps' scales.

Hope this helps!

TdH

Murph
Message 8 of 8

as usual, thanks Murph - I concur - sometimes my train doesn't always reach the station...

I was thinking about "plain" acad objects and not about feature labels when I wrote my reply. 

Cheers!

T

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost