AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature labels at 5km intervals

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
borderliner
335 Views, 4 Replies

Feature labels at 5km intervals

Hi all, I'm sure this is probably quite easy using expressions, but I've no idea where to start.

All I want is highway markers to show up every 5km, or whatever.

Looking at image below, the labels on the north/south road (middle-right of screen), are approximately 5km apart - great, but the ones around the town site in the upper left, are way tooooo close together, they need moving away from each other.

Any ideas?

Thanks

feature label - screenshot.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
parkr4st
in reply to: borderliner

are your roads one polyline per road or broken into segments of varying lengths?

the label space is repeated and will very with the scale of viewing the map

you may have to join the road segments together to make the spacing even along the roads.

dave

Message 3 of 5
borderliner
in reply to: parkr4st

The roads are in segments - it's the road network for the whole of canada.

Joining all of it together wouldn't be practical, if it's even possible. Even after separating them out into different classes of roads, like highways, secondary, etc.

That was why I thought using an expression to distribute the placement of the labels might be the way to go.

What I wanted to do ultimately, was write out the map layer as a saved layer, so it can be easily loaded into any new maps further down the road (so to speak). That way any of my CAD people don't have to think about the formatting of the layers, it's all done.

Message 4 of 5
parkr4st
in reply to: borderliner

Is the road data available with each road as one object. ie trans canada all the way from east to west?

Message 5 of 5
borderliner
in reply to: parkr4st

No, every road is broken at every intersection - it's a free dataset from the government.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost