AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDO Import from ArcSDE

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
zkeninger
365 Views, 1 Reply

FDO Import from ArcSDE

New to CAD user here.

After importing a file from a database using the FDO Import option on the insert tab, does that disconnect the data from the database and now its just an AutoCAD layer?  Meaning whatever edits I do it after the import, it won't affect the initial data in the database?

Also, is there a way to automate this import?  Meaning that when I set up my template, it will automatically pull certain files in fresh (or most current) when the template initially opens, then once its saved as something else, it doesn't refresh?

Thank you for your time.

-zk

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: zkeninger

Hi,

>> After importing a file from a database [...] and now its just an AutoCAD layer?

Yep, importing means you import the data from one datastore into another one, resulting in new (copied) data without any connection to the previous one.

So the question is: if you want to edit the original data why do you import it instead of just connecting to the original datastore using _MAPCONNECT?

>> Also, is there a way to automate this import?

Most automation-jobs can be done using Workflow Designer (>>>details<<<).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost