AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Northing and Easting in Coordinate

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
frosty1_4me
7928 Views, 3 Replies

False Northing and Easting in Coordinate

Hi,

I'd like to know what the point of the false northing and easting is as it's defined in some coordinate systems.  My understanding was this was an issue many years ago so that any coordinate values that were extracted for use in a db would be positive values.  However, I'm not sure that is an issue any longer for most applications so is there any point to using a coordinate system with those values? 

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: frosty1_4me

False Easting starts from the "central meridian", while I've never heard about a False Northing, sir.

Message 3 of 4
swt-gis

Of course False Northing and False Easting are used today. They are part of the definition of a coordinate system.

False Northing starts from the "equator". Often False Nothing is equal 0. Exampe: y-coordinate of Berlin (Germany) in UTM 32N is: 5,819,000. In UTM32N False Norting is equal 0. So the distance from Berlin to the eqautor is 5,819,000 meters.

Message 4 of 4
fieldguy

False eastings and northings are sometimes used in projections in order to make all of the x and y values across the data area positive numbers.  They can also be used to adjust positions for alignment purposes.  They can also be used to reduce the range of values.  If all of the y values are greater than 5,000,000, a false northing of -5,000,000 could be applied.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost