AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Grid Shift Transform in 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
470 Views, 3 Replies

Extremely Slow Grid Shift Transform in 2014

When using Raster Design 2014's image insert (iinsert) and selecting "Insertion Dialog" so to transform an ortho-image to the project's coordinate system (pixel by pixel), the performance is horrible (takes over 1.5 hours for 572MB panchromatic image).

Just installed 2014 (from Infrastructure Design Suite) for first time, and on new Workstation that has plenty of resources (3.5GHz Xeon, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA K5000, and an SSD drive).  Software is updated to SP1.  With an eye on the Resource Monitor... it pegs one of my many CPU cores, and barely uses available Memory or Disk.  

For comparison - same operation with same image on a much lesser/older computer running 2011 version takes only 11 minutes.  Even an 8 year old workstation running 2009 requires only 30 minutes.

When I test same process to convert map projections only (no grid shift use of GSB file), it happens in seconds.  The coordinate systems are set up correctly (in that they get the right answer using the right ./Canada/may76v20.gsb file) - it is just PAINfully slow (especially with big data.

I have confirmed with IT that I am a member of an Adminstrator Group Policy and Autodesk has permision to write to the registry.

My theory of the grid shift data (gsb) being in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Geospatial Coordinate Systems 14.00\Canada\ which seemed to have special permissions applied washed out when I reconfigured the paths to get the gsb files in C:\Users\Public and had same results (worked right but super slow).

Please help me solve quickly - or advise the best practice to to install 2011 beside 2014?

Dave 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Just to add that since posting, I have confirmed that transforming a CAD.dwg of simple topo contours through the GSB also has poor performance relative the older PCs/Versions (5 and 13 times slower respectively). 

Also, where transform with GSB is way slower - the new Workstation with 2014 is WAY faster than the older ones at everything else.

Though un-operational at the moment - we did have 2014 installed on an old box and though never timed, the user's recollection was that it was NOT so "extremely" slow doing the same transform with GSB file operation.  This has us questioning Map's interaction with the Win 7 64-bit OS build, our I.T. Policies and/or the effect they had on installation.  Users are 'restricted admins', can do most things but can not modify registry, write to root of C:, etc...

Dave

Message 3 of 4
phil_borycens
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your post.

I do not believe that there is a problem with the Canadian grid transformation that you have configured. The same problem that you report has been reported with European and USA coordinate systems.

To summarize, newer releases of Raster Design have had trouble when transforming images using the True (pixel by pixel) method. (This is being investigated by the Raster Design development team and tracked as 1250655.01 internally.) So it is recommended to choose one of the other transformation methods for faster results, either "3 point affine" or "4 point rubbersheet".

Even before this became an issue I notice that using one of the other transformation methods was recommended. Notice this tip from an AU 2009 class:
true-pixel-by-pixel-caution.png

So please know that the issue is being addressed. And I hope that using one of the alternative transformation methods gives you the accuracy that you need in the meantime.

Phil Borycens
Message 4 of 4

FYI: Dave and I worked together some more on this and he was able to prove a slower transformation with a GSB when using 2014 Map 3D, as compared to the 2011 and earlier releases. This was tested with vector data (drawing query to transform objects from a UTM27 to UTM83 CS). So I reported this to Development as DE11343.

Phil Borycens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost