AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exportnig DEM surface (terrain) data as shape useful for 3d max

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dmole
982 Views, 7 Replies

Exportnig DEM surface (terrain) data as shape useful for 3d max

Hello,

i am rarely new to map 3d. What I would like to do is to export 3 dem surface in any kind of format, so that I could open it in 3d max.

I know how to generate Contours, but when I export them to dwg and later open in autocad architecture there are missing info on z coordinate - so everything is flat.

Is there some way to make .3ds file or .dwg file so that would really look like a 3d terrain in ACAD architecture or 3d max?

Thank you very much!!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: dmole

There are a few ways the easiest is with Civil3D, however if all you have is Map3D then aftyer you create the Contour layer as a SDFfile open a new dwg and import that SDF file. When you import be sure to create object data fron the attributes, Save and close that dwg, then open another blank dwg. Use the map attach tools "ADEDRAWINGS" to attach then do a property query for the elevations. It's a long process for a beginner so post back when you need help and read the help files,

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph wrote:

the easiest is with Civil3D

I agree, whilst the cheapest is this one...

Message 4 of 8
dmole
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thank you, but I would realy need more like step by step guide 🙂

I am good with first step - to safe contours as .sdf and later import to a blank one. However something happens there, but I dont see anything in the model window.  Also dont know how to make query properly.

😕

Message 5 of 8
dmole

until now I have managed to make all the steps, but at the end there are stil just polylines all on same z coordinate...

I don't see really a point here. probaly I have done smth wrong....

I would need 3d shape of terrain...

sorry for beeing such a beginner!

Message 6 of 8
Murph_Map

When you do the query you need to run an alterproperty query. When I get to the house I'll help more, don't hsve Autocad at this job site.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 8
antoniovinci

dmole wrote:
I would realy need more like step by step guide

1.  open a blank drawing
  2.  run _ADEDRAWINGS
  3.  attach the contour drawing
  4.  run _ADEQUERY
  5.  click Alter Properties => Elevation => Expression => Expand Object Data => click on your Height field
  6.  click OK back in the Expression Area => click ADD => click OK
  7.  under Query Type, click Location => ALL
  8.  click OK
  9.  under Query Mode, select Draw
  10.  click the Execute Query button
  11.  perform a zoom extents
  12.  run the command ID, and click on contours to check their Z value
  13. if everything works, run again _ADEDRAWINGS, and detach the contour drawing
  14. save all with a new name

Message 8 of 8
dmole
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thank you very much! It works! At least I get contours in right position, now it will be easy to make a terrain in 3d max...

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost