Contributor
sweeneypaul0
Message 1 of 5 (223 Views)
Accepted Solution

Exporting to SHP - Export a buffer class to a polygon SHP

223 Views, 4 Replies
07-22-2013 10:39 AM

Hello All 

I have a series of polylines with a global width of 5m which I want to export to a polygon shapefile to represent in GIS. I realised if I create a shapefile of the polylines and then create a buffer of 2.5m on either side I can create my desired polygon. My question is how do I export this polygon to a shapefile. I have tried bulk copy but this just seems to revert the buffer back to a polyline shapefile . Any ideas

Regards 

Hi,

if you created the buffer objects with command _MAPFDOBUFFERCREATE  and so created a SDF-file you can either use bulk-copy to create a SHP (bulk copy is sometimes strange) or you can create a new drawing and use command _MAPIMPORT to import this buffer-sdf and the command _MAPEXPORT to create a SHP from that imported geometry/data.

If you have the buffered geometry created in another way, then let us know what type of geometry it is currently.

- alfred -

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 5 (221 Views)

Re: Exporting to SHP - Export a buffer class to a polygon SHP

07-22-2013 10:48 AM in reply to: sweeneypaul0

Hi,

if you created the buffer objects with command _MAPFDOBUFFERCREATE  and so created a SDF-file you can either use bulk-copy to create a SHP (bulk copy is sometimes strange) or you can create a new drawing and use command _MAPIMPORT to import this buffer-sdf and the command _MAPEXPORT to create a SHP from that imported geometry/data.

If you have the buffered geometry created in another way, then let us know what type of geometry it is currently.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valued Mentor
parkr4st
Message 3 of 5 (210 Views)

07-22-2013 12:11 PM in reply to: sweeneypaul0

Do you want an outer line of the polygon 5m wide or a ring polygon 5 m wide?  Line style will give the first, the afore mentioned the second.

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 4 of 5 (200 Views)

07-22-2013 04:00 PM in reply to: sweeneypaul0

If your polyline is closed it exports as a polygon. You can change it to a closed pline in the property palette.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Contributor
sweeneypaul0
Message 5 of 5 (186 Views)

07-23-2013 03:36 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred i imported it as an .SDF then it exported to SHP , worked a treat.

Cheers 

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.