Contributor
sweeneypaul0
Message 1 of 5 (234 Views)
Accepted Solution

Exporting to SHP - Export a buffer class to a polygon SHP

234 Views, 4 Replies
07-22-2013 10:39 AM

Hello All 

I have a series of polylines with a global width of 5m which I want to export to a polygon shapefile to represent in GIS. I realised if I create a shapefile of the polylines and then create a buffer of 2.5m on either side I can create my desired polygon. My question is how do I export this polygon to a shapefile. I have tried bulk copy but this just seems to revert the buffer back to a polyline shapefile . Any ideas

Regards 

Hi,

if you created the buffer objects with command _MAPFDOBUFFERCREATE  and so created a SDF-file you can either use bulk-copy to create a SHP (bulk copy is sometimes strange) or you can create a new drawing and use command _MAPIMPORT to import this buffer-sdf and the command _MAPEXPORT to create a SHP from that imported geometry/data.

If you have the buffered geometry created in another way, then let us know what type of geometry it is currently.

- alfred -

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 5 (232 Views)

Re: Exporting to SHP - Export a buffer class to a polygon SHP

07-22-2013 10:48 AM in reply to: sweeneypaul0

Hi,

if you created the buffer objects with command _MAPFDOBUFFERCREATE  and so created a SDF-file you can either use bulk-copy to create a SHP (bulk copy is sometimes strange) or you can create a new drawing and use command _MAPIMPORT to import this buffer-sdf and the command _MAPEXPORT to create a SHP from that imported geometry/data.

If you have the buffered geometry created in another way, then let us know what type of geometry it is currently.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valued Mentor
parkr4st
Message 3 of 5 (221 Views)

07-22-2013 12:11 PM in reply to: sweeneypaul0

Do you want an outer line of the polygon 5m wide or a ring polygon 5 m wide?  Line style will give the first, the afore mentioned the second.

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 4 of 5 (211 Views)

07-22-2013 04:00 PM in reply to: sweeneypaul0

If your polyline is closed it exports as a polygon. You can change it to a closed pline in the property palette.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Contributor
sweeneypaul0
Message 5 of 5 (197 Views)

07-23-2013 03:36 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred i imported it as an .SDF then it exported to SHP , worked a treat.

Cheers 

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!