AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Hatch as a shape file?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
jthornton
16295 Views, 15 Replies

Exporting Hatch as a shape file?

I would like to know how to export a hatch shape as a shape file so that it can be used in ArcGIS. I am running C3D 2013  with Map 3D and ArcMap10. I have tried the Output as SDF and the map3d export and I haven't been able to get either to work. I don't have a problem exporting lines, points or polygons. any help would be great. Thx, Jason   

p.s. I have included the dwg. of the hatch in question.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
fieldguy
in reply to: jthornton

Assuming you do not have a boundary for the hatch you can use HATCHEDIT and create the bdy as a closed pline and export that.

Message 3 of 16
Murph_Map

A "hatch" is not an object type that can be exported, The boundry can if you convert it to polygon/pline. If you want the hatch patteren then you need to create that in ArcGIS. It's been a few years but ERSI used to allow jpg/bmp files to be used as a patteren so you might try bmpout or jgpout caommands.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 16
antoniovinci

You have at least 2 ways to get the goal, sir.

1. if your hatches are solid, recreate their boundaries with the rare command _HatchGenerateBoundary then _MAPEXPORT to polygon shapefile

2. if your hatches are not-solid (e.g. 45° slant) explode them, then _MAPEXPORT to line shapefile

I recommend the first one for every kind of hatches, because you can easily query by area in your Gis.

Message 5 of 16
jthornton

Ok guys I tried the Hatch boundary and map export to polygon but still not getting anywhere. Once I get to Mapexport I select object type "Polygon"/ Select objects to export "Select Maunally"/ Filter Selection, layers " I select the layer the hatch boundray is on". Then in the data tab: I select "object properties, hatch". Then I select OK and I get a AutoCAD Map Warning (No Entity to Export). I have tried Line, select all under the section tab, also have tried properties combinations and object properties combinations to no prevail. Maybe i dont have the right combinaton. LOL! Please help, Thanks, Jason

Message 6 of 16
antoniovinci

Isolate those hatches, save 'em with _WBLOCK, then perform what above, without selecting anything manually.

Message 7 of 16
jthornton
in reply to: antoniovinci

I tried... but did not work. When I add the shapefile into my dwg it is just a bunch of dots.

Message 8 of 16
antoniovinci

Feel free to zip and attach here the hatched Wblock, thx.

Message 9 of 16
fieldguy

>Then in the data tab: I select "object properties, hatch".

Select the polyline bdy - not the hatch.

Message 10 of 16
jthornton

K , guys the wblock is attached to the 1st post. FieldGuy I tried that and all I get is a bunch dots. I have no idea whats going on. All I am trying to accomplish is taking this cad data(being a city limits hatch) and convert it into a shp. file so that it can be used in ArcGIS. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Message 11 of 16
parkr4st

you need to clean up the data.  your big boundary is duplicated and all the small boundaries are not closed.  pedit, multiple, select and close, ecit.  Then make sure you have one of each unless you want duplicates.

Dave

Message 12 of 16
jthornton

The cleaning up process worked as far as making a shape file for the Hatch boundray. I guess there is no way to bring in the solid fill of a hatch as a shape file?

Again Thanks for everybody's help!

Message 13 of 16
Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

The cleaning up process worked as far as making a shape file for the Hatch boundray. I guess there is no way to bring in the solid fill of a hatch as a shape file?

Again Thanks for everybody's help!

You need to understand how GIS features work. There are only points/polygons/ and polylines(line) type object generally with out a lot of addons. In ArcGIS you would need to set a solid style to the polygon you exported from CAD to get the hatch looks.  

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 14 of 16

wow... i've been looking for this!!!

worked perfectly!

thanks!

Message 15 of 16

You're welcome, Madame, and... Merry Xmas

Message 16 of 16
jfischer
in reply to: antoniovinci

I'm running into a similar issue.  I need to create polygons out of hatches, with the hatches coming from multiple different layers.  I can get the _HatchGenerateBoundary to work well, but it draws them all on the 0 layer, and there is no additional attribution along with it when I export to ArcMap.  I need the names of the layers the hatches came from, since they are from different years and I need to include the year in the attribute table.  Is there a way to bring that along in the _HatchGenerateBoundary or is there a way to link the hatches to the newly created boundaries?  My CAD experience is limited, any advice would help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost