AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to DFO- SQL Server not consistent

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rick-chappell
403 Views, 2 Replies

Export to DFO- SQL Server not consistent

I've been doing a lat of conversion lately, and I'm seeing pretty inconsistent results when exportinig AutoCAD geometry through FDO into SQL Server Spatial. I'm using Map 2012 with current sps on Win 7, and SQL Server 2008 R2 - using a local instance on the same machine as AutoDCAD.. I have a large drawing (200k objects), and I have several small OD tables attached to most objects. We are pushing those into SQL Server through FDO (Export to FDO connection) and I get pretty inconsistent results on the number of objects for example, out of 788 polygons, 436 will convert. I delete the objects from SS and try again, and it usually takes at least three times for the export to be complete. It seems to be inconsistent and of course, there's no error notes thrown out anywhere. I find I have to pull counts of all the objects before starting conversion on a drawing so I can keep tabs on it.

Are there any known issues that might be the cause or contributing?

Thanks,

Rick

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jackie.ng
in reply to: rick-chappell

SQL Server (2008 at least) has this nasty problem of being completely **** retentive about the ring orientation of your polygons, which may explain why a fair chunk of your polygons are being rejected.

I don't know if FDO SQL Server export does any attempt at correcting ring orientation as part of exporting (it should, otherwise it'd be pretty flimsy). Someone else can chime in here.

- Jackie

Message 3 of 3
rick-chappell
in reply to: jackie.ng

I'll have to explore that issue, but there's more here as it happens to lines as well. It's not consistent on all drawings, but I do seem to get better luck starting with a blank drawing, attaching the file and querying in only the objects to push into SQL. We're just doing a lot of data and it's a bit frustrating at times. I'm starting to wonder if I ought to use SQLite as an imtermediary and pump the data into SQL from SQLite - but that ignores the problem.

Thanks,

Rick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost