AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything just disappears

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
kconn85
9431 Views, 10 Replies

Everything just disappears

Hello all,

I've been getting a small problem lately. While working in AutoCAD, Sometimes everything just disappears.

I'll be working. I move a block, or draw a line, copy something, etc.. And after I execute the command, and finish. What I just moved,copied, drawn, etc, doesn't show up. I do a _regen, and EVERYTHING in the drawing disappears. If I zoon extents, everything is gone. I can undo commands, but nothing shows back up. If I save the drawing, and reopen the file. Everything shows back up. Is there a setting I need to click or something? It's getting really annoying. It happened 6 times in the hour.

My company recently upgraded to 2013 (from 2010), and we've had nothing but problems. It's one thing after the other with this version.

If anyone has had this problem before, and know what I'm talking about. Your help on this would be most appreciative. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: kconn85
Message 3 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> and EVERYTHING in the drawing disappears. If I zoon extents, everything is gone

What happens if you press <Ctrl><A> for "select all" ==> look to the property window and let us know how many objects are selected.

If you are right with "everything disappears" then the property windows would not show anything selected.

But (what I think) if the property window shows that there are objects there it's just like "nothing seems to be visible, but it's there". The problem here is that these objects are so far away each other that a ZOOM EXTENTS has to look at a to big distance ==> that makes these objects to small to be displayed.

Check it and let's know what happens after <Ctrl><A> 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 11
kconn85

I'm already using SP2.1 My AutoCAD Map 3d 2013 is completely up-to-date.

Message 5 of 11
antoniovinci

kconn85 wrote:

I'm already using SP2.1

If so, I'd bet Alfred is right.
You have at least one object near the origin, so perform a _WBLOCK only on the selected objects, and try again to work on this good subset.

Message 6 of 11
kconn85

alfred,

So when everything disappears and I hit Ctrl_A and check the properties window. It does show i have items selected, they just aren't visible. 

I had problem in the past when I copy a block for example. When I make the copy it puts the copy at 0,0. And yea, when I do a zoom extents, you can't see anything because the copied block is far from everything else.  This doesn't seem to be the case here. No item is far away. The block or line is right where it should be, it just doesn't show up. After the block or line is copied and it disappears, I'll do a _regen, and everything else in the drawing now isn't visible. But yea, if I hit Ctrl_A and selected everything. In the properties window, it does say I have everything selected. 

This mainly happens when I insert or copy a block. But it also did it a few time when just drawing a simple polyline. 

I've tried redefining the blocks I'm using. I've tried starting over with a whole new drawing file. But it still happens. 

When it does happen, Sometime the block or line, seem to "blink" while moving the object. It seems to lag while I move it. This happenes whether I use the move compand directly, or just select the object and (drag and drop) to move it. 

The only way I can get everything to show back up, is if I close out the file and re-open it. I don't have to restart AutoCAD, just re-open the file. I've tried restarting AutoCAD, but that doesn't seem to work.

Ah, man, gotta to love Mondays huh?

Message 7 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

what graphic card do you have, and have you tried to toggle the hardware acceleration switch (command _3DCONFIG ==> manual tune)?

>> This mainly happens when I insert or copy a block

Does the block contain objects like hatches or wipouts? So the new block with wipeout is "over the other objects"?

Well, that would not fit to the statement that closing and reopening the drawing solved the issue, but who knows?

Can we have such a drawing?

Did you ever run _AUDIT on such a drawing?

>> I don't have to restart AutoCAD, just re-open the file

Does it help if you change the visual style of your current view ... or change to a layout and back to the modelspace?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 11
kconn85

alfred,

That may have done it. I ran an audit, but no errors. I ran the _3DCONFIG, and tuned on the harware accleration. So far so good. I've been trying to recreate the problem, but so far. It hasn't done it. Text boxes also move around alot easier. 

I tried turning it off after, and the lag starts up again, and after about 3 attempts to make the problem accure. it did. But once I turned the hardware accleration back on, I haven't been able to recreate the problem. So it looks like for now, that has solved my problem. Thank you. 

Just for information wise anyways, here's my computers stats:

computer specs-

Intel Xeon 2.40GHz duel core

MOBO, Dell 09kpnv with a intel x58 chipset

12g of DDR3 533MHz triple channel

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 - 256MB

Samsung 840 SSD

Windows 7 x64 

The computer was a base model Dell T3500 and we upgraded it to windows 7, installed 8 more gigs of memeory and added SSD's.

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I guess you should play with your graphic card driver (or exchange the card itself as 256MB for a gc is quite minimal nowadays).

At least it's unusual to be more stable with activated hardware acceleration. Normally when someone has troubles the suggestion is to disable it.

Searching through the certified hardwarelist at the Autodesk site I found >>>that<<< driver, verify it with your installed one, maybe give it a try.

At least good to know for now you can reproduce it and you have found a way to work without that issue!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 11

Hi
all of my drawings is disappeared and i can't get anything with ctrl+A but i still have my layers, and my file size did not reduced
and backup file is the same either
do you have any recommendations ? 😞

Message 11 of 11

Hi,

>> i can't get anything with ctrl+A

When you thaw and turn on all layers, then press <CTRL><A> ... what does the property window show, how many objects are selected?

When the file size did not reduce

• the objects might be defect, that can be tested with command _AUDIT
  • the objects might be converted to a block ... go through the list of blocks in the INSERT dialog
  • the objects might have been transferred to any of the layouts/paperspace ... try the same <CTRL><A> selected in each of your layouts and look for the number of selected items.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost