*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 11 of 23 (828 Views)

Re: ESRI geodatabase format .gdb

04-06-2013 09:11 AM in reply to: antoniovinci

antoniovinci wrote:

Feel free to zip your Geodatabase folder and send it by email to:

antoniovinci AT wp.pl

I have an idea to help you, but I don't own any .GDB to test it...

I posted to 360.autodesk.com, and sent you a share invitatin.  seemed like an opportunity to try out a few different things all at the some time....  I'll be curious how well it works at transfer across continents.

Contributor
TimSR
Message 12 of 23 (824 Views)

04-06-2013 09:25 AM in reply to: TimSR

I had come to the conclusion when I was trying to get this to work was that the only way to force the issue was for government entities to be forced to produce the output in a format most people could read. Public data that is only able to be read by people owning 5K worth of software is not public data. I made my county government convert the data. They didn't like it, but its my tax dollars at work. I now have little use for AutoCad Map because the data is all in .gdb format and getting all government entities to convert the data is more of a pain than it is worth. Proprietary formatting of public data is ridiculous IMO.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 13 of 23 (817 Views)

04-06-2013 10:54 AM in reply to: TimSR

TimSR wrote:

I had come to the conclusion when I was trying to get this to work was that the only way to force the issue was for government entities to be forced to produce the output in a format most people could read. Public data that is only able to be read by people owning 5K worth of software is not public data. I made my county government convert the data. They didn't like it, but its my tax dollars at work. I now have little use for AutoCad Map because the data is all in .gdb format and getting all government entities to convert the data is more of a pain than it is worth. Proprietary formatting of public data is ridiculous IMO.

HEAR HEAR!  it's even worse when the DOT claims the location of stormwater facilities is a 'homeland security' issue, or the county uses that to not suplly catch basin locations.

Mandating that public entities can only distribute or accept electronic files in publicly documented file formats ought to a requirement of law in every jurisdiction.  Getting vendor's and their lobbyists to agree to that is a different kettle of worms.....  They might have to spend more effort competing on functionality rather than relying on customer lock-in.

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 14 of 23 (804 Views)

04-07-2013 12:08 AM in reply to: JGerth

JGerth wrote:
I posted to 360.autodesk.com

Ain't be used to give up, sir: that's the time.
I applied this how-to, which allows me to read and write Esri geodatabases in Qgis environment, except your data.

gdb_9x.gif

Seems like your .GDB was created by Arcgis 9.x, while the opensource FileGDB Osgeo API supports only the 10.x releases.

Sorry, I did my best...

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 15 of 23 (798 Views)

04-07-2013 06:02 AM in reply to: JGerth

JGerth wrote:

I posted to 360.autodesk.com, and sent you a share invitatin.  seemed like an opportunity to try out a few different things all at the some time....  I'll be curious how well it works at transfer across continents.

Can you send me an invite as well, I have ArcMAP 10.1 to convert it if you need it in shp format.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 16 of 23 (778 Views)

04-08-2013 05:12 AM in reply to: antoniovinci

antoniovinci wrote:
Seems like your .GDB was created by Arcgis 9.x, while the opensource FileGDB Osgeo API supports only the 10.x releases.

Sorry, I did my best...

OK, thanks for trying

Valued Contributor
rmacan
Message 17 of 23 (538 Views)

10-02-2013 02:39 PM in reply to: JGerth

I'm making this comment to keep this thread active, as this limitation is a huge burden for me to bear.  All it is doing is forcing me explain to my boss that I can't do what he's requesting because my $5500 software package can't read the files our client gave him.  When the spotlight is in my eyes, all I can do is squint and say "Sorry boss, I can't do it with our invested configuration."  We'll have to buy a 32bit system to do that.  Of course he asked why I needed to buy old technology to use a new GIS data format, to which I had no good answer.  (I tried but it wasn't very convincing) 

This is so embarrassing, and at times such as this I fear for my job. 

Has anything changed that I'm not aware of?  New FDO driver for 64bit or something that really works for this connection?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 18 of 23 (526 Views)

10-02-2013 11:11 PM in reply to: rmacan

Hi,

>> that I can't do what he's requesting because my $5500 software package can't read the files our client gave him.

I can buy a lot of software with > $5000 that can't read files from competitive vendors.

>> can't read the files our client

Did anyone define the data exchange format before signing the working contract?

And has anyone asked if the client can send the data in SHP-format (for ArcGIS it's no problem to export GDB data as shapes) ... and SHP is more an official exchange format for GIS-information. Again GDB is a proprietary non documented format, so not really great for data exchange.

>> why I needed to buy old technology to use a new GIS data format,

At least you don't need to do that, create a virtual machine with 32bit Windows, install the 32bit AutoCAD Map there (you have access to it in your subscription downloads), convert the GDB data and use then the converted data with your  64bit Map3D to do your work.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valued Contributor
rmacan
Message 19 of 23 (475 Views)

10-11-2013 03:16 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for your reply Alfred,

I wrote a bunch but just deleted it since it's more in line with a "Complain about AutoDesk" blog.  But I thought gdb was simply Access with a connection to shapes, and not strictly an ESRI thing....my ignorance in proprietary technology.   

I appreciate you mentioning the virtual machine capabilities.  I had no idea that was even possible.  Our IT guy only comes in once a week and I rarely see him as he generally works downstairs on the server.  But I cornered him the other day and asked him about it.  He got excited, explained a little about it, and said he'd be happy to set up on my computer.  So hopefully next week, I can install 32bit MAP and check out the gdb connection features in it.  It will enable me to create another workaround to stay competitive.  

Thanks again.  Have a great weekend,

Randy

Active Contributor
luc.vanlinden
Message 20 of 23 (460 Views)

10-12-2013 12:53 AM in reply to: rmacan

A bit another angle in this specific discussion.

OGC is currently working on a new Open standaard called GeoPackage, currently in draft:

http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/95

This should at least be a leverage trying to force those organisation to supply data as an Open standards data container.

Luc.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.