AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing a shp file creates new files with _cpy extension

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bingalls
1203 Views, 5 Replies

Editing a shp file creates new files with _cpy extension

I'm trying to modify an existing shp file of polygon features. I attach the file to a new map in Autodesk Map 2011, connect to the shp file, add to map, and then stylize the layer. I make some modifications to the polygon shapes and fill in some attribute data. After checking in my modifications, I remove the layer and disconnect from the shp file. At that time, 4 new files are created with the _cpy added to the extension. (.dbf_cpy, .idx_cpy, .shp_cpy, .shx_cpy) I attach the modified shp file to an ESRI ArcMap map and I get the error:

"One or more layers failed to draw:

There was a problem drawing the shapefile. Drawing aborted."

Any ideas? What's up with the new _cpy files? I can't find any information on this via Google or these forums.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
phil_borycens
in reply to: bingalls

Hi Brian,

After making edits to a shapefile that is connected in AutoCAD Map 3D, you simply need to check in the edits (MAPCHECKINALL is a nice way) and close down the drawing (you do not need to disconnect from the shapefile or Remove Layer in AutoCAD).

You might try deleting the IDX file before trying to connect to the shapefile in another program.

Otherwise, since the error you report is occurring in ArcMap, I'd recommend researching it on their end (ESRI).

We don't know anything about CPY files (there's nothing in our documentation, and there are no previous support cases about these). I have not seen CPY files get created when editing shapefiles personally. Maybe another user in the community has seen this, and can provide some insight?

Please let us know what you find out.

Thanks!

Phil

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 6

borycep wrote:

Maybe another user in the community has seen this, and can provide some insight?

Never heard about it too, but _CPY sounds like COPY, as a backup of the edited shapefiles...

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

at least >>>there<<< is a CPP-file that has to do wit OSGEO, with FDO and with Shape-provider...

...AND it contains this line (1233):

#define CPY_SUFFIX    L"_cpy"

May that explain that either it's Map3D creating that file or the OP has any other tools based on OSGEO/FDO?

A few lines later you see that it has to do with some compression of the DBF. So I guess it has to do with the source-software where these shapes were created as FDO (or Map3D) thinks a compression is needed. But that's just guessing, I did not verify the complete code!

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 6
bingalls

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been working with Autodesk products for nearly 20 years and this is the first I've seen the "_cpy" added to the extension. I didn't know if the _cpy is something implemented in the latest releases of Autodeak or something. Most issues I ever run into have already been discussed here or elsewhere and are easy to find via search, but I've not been able to find anything on this issue, here at Autodesk or on ESRI's forums. We've recently switched our developing GIS to ESRI, but I still fall back on my AutoCAD experience for some basic editing as I'm more comfortable with it.  .... btw, The file was on a local USB thumb drive.

I ended up redoing my work, but I'm still interested in why the _cpy files were created and what to look for to prevent it from happening again, or just any information on it. So any more discussion on it is welcomed.

Have a great day all.

Brian

Message 6 of 6
Murph_Map

@bingalls wrote:

.  .... btw, The file was on a local USB thumb drive.

I ended up redoing my work, but I'm still interested in why the _cpy files were created and what to look for to prevent it from happening again, or just any information on it. So any more discussion on it is welcomed.

Sounds like your network, data backup system if you have one or the way you copied the files to the USB.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost