AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG to Google Earth - Line types and text question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
4122 Views, 3 Replies

DWG to Google Earth - Line types and text question

I am using the DWGPublishToGE tool in AutoCAD Map 3D 2012.  I can get the images and blocks to finally show up in a fairly clear manner.  I was using earlier versions of AutoCAD before and everything was exporting all choppy.

Now that I have the linework in I was hoping to accomplish two more things:

1. The line types aren't coming across properly (e.a.: dashed lines are continuous)
  2. The text, both within blocks and along the path, only comes in as text.  It's not fixed to where it is in the drawing.  For example, if I have a block with HH in it the line work comes in normally but the text part of the block does not.

See my two images I have attached.  The first is the CAD version and what I am hoping to get to in GE.  The second is what is happening in GE.

Thank you for your help in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

So far this one seems to be pitching a shut out.  Smiley Surprised  I normally have 3 replies in the first hour for my questions. LOL 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hi,

KML doesn't support linetypes so it's impossible to render this into Google Earth.

Also, doesn't exist an explicit declaration for Text objects. It is replaced by a placemark (without a symbol though), and that's the reason of the misplacement.

Regards,

- Lambros

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Thank you for your help on this.

As for KML not accepting linetypes I think that maybe you mean that the converter doesn't pass the linetype through. Because initially I was able to get the linetype to display but the route was in the incorrect coordinate system and ended up on the west coast of the U.S. when this route is in the midwest.  When I converted it to the correct coordinate system is when I lost the linetype.

The reason I say that it must be the converter and not KML is because I have also seen/used a program that overlaid on AutoCAD which brings routes virtually the same as what we work with now into GE and everything appears as it is in AutoCAD.  Text is in line and oriented with the objects. 

The only issue is that the program (Spatial) is something we have yet to justify the expense for.  And of course I can't get an answer on how they accomplish the transfer into GE so seamlessly. 🙂 

Thanks again. 

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost