AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.dgn Reference Alignment Issue

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
dschuler
532 Views, 1 Reply

.dgn Reference Alignment Issue

I really like the option to reference a .dgn into Civil3d but I have noticed an alignment issue.  If I use Map Import and bring in a .dgn, (without changing any import defaults) then reference the same file it never ends up exactly aligned with the original data.  It's almost like a coordinate surface conversion but it's only off +/-29'.  I set-up my coordinates units under settings in my toolspace and get the same results.  Has anyone else seen this yet.

I attached a file for an example.

Thanks,

David

David Schuler

Polywell Workstation
Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10 GHz
8 GB Ram
64 Bit Win7 OS
NVIDA GeForce GTS 450
Civil 3D 2013, SP1
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Survey1ebmud
in reply to: dschuler

I'm going to guess you are working in Feet and are using a State Plane Coordinate System.  The problem is probably an International Feet/US Survey Feet issue.  You can verify this by scaling the coordinates of your drawing by the international feet/us survey feet scale factor.  Use 0,0 as the base point.  The dgn file will then line up.

For whatever reason, attached DGN files ALWAYS want to assume International Feet and applies a scale factor.  Changing INSUNITS to unitless will not have any effect.   If you import the DGN using MAPIMPORT, or if you export the file to DWG in Microstation, you will avoid the problem.

Please post if you find a solution!  We are referencing DGN files all the time.  It gets tiresome to have to constantly do exports and imports.

Craig

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost