AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

default insert raster image directory

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
stevedb
1057 Views, 16 Replies

default insert raster image directory

howdee all.

This has finally gotten on my nerves, after 5 years.... Smiley Sad

Each time I go to insert a raster image it opens to a directory which has no files stored in it.

I do have a handful of directories that have my image files stored, and I have gone into Options>Files>storage paths>.... and set them per specs.

Is there a way to change the default directory that the dialogue box opens, when I select- Insert>Raster Image ?

I have looked in the help files, and have not been able to find anything which would better explain it. I've also gone through all the options under the Option>File tab, and likewise don't see where it'd be set. I even clicked all the plus signs, down to their respective directories, and none of them match.

Your helps would be deeply appreciated.

TYIA.

If I haven't explained something clearly enough, please ask.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
antoniovinci
in reply to: stevedb

Try to change this field inside your Autocad icon:

Obviously, in place of my path C:\AEROFOTO, you must input your raster directory...
Message 3 of 17
Murph_Map

REMEMBERFOLDERS = 1

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 17
stevedb
in reply to: Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

REMEMBERFOLDERS = 1

Morning Murph.

Ok, I tried this, and at this point, I'm assuming that I've missed something.

I.e., it did not accomplish the goal that I wanted.

I opened AutoCAD Map-- we have 2009 btw.

I set rememberfolders = 1.

I then went to insert, insert raster image, and it opened to the directory that I want to remove.

I then migrated over to the directory that I do want, opened an image, saved the file with the new image, and then performed rememberfolders = 1 again.

I then did ctrl+s again, and closed AuthoCAD.

I reopened AC, and went to do insert> insert raster image, and it took me back to the undesired directory.

How do I change the default directory that insert raster image opens to?

I believe you that setting rememberfolders = 1 does something to save the settings, but it doesn't tell me how to make sure that it opens in the correct location to begin with.

I.e., it appears that the rememberfolders is a secondary component, following the performance of a primary task-- setting the default location.

Again, thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate it.

Message 5 of 17
stevedb
in reply to: antoniovinci

Morning AntonioV.

In looking at yours-- it's in a language I've never seen before-- but if I correlate it item for item, location for location, the C:Aerofoto  

That's the start in folder.

All that does is to tell the computer what directory to open AutoCAD from. This is not what I am in need of.

Thank you though. I appreciate your input.

My goal is to set the default directory of where the Insert>Insert Raster Image starts.

AutoCAD defaulted to this directory on install, and it's not what I need.

antoniovinci wrote:
Try to change this field inside your Autocad icon:

Obviously, in place of my path C:\AEROFOTO, you must input your raster directory...

Message 6 of 17
Murph_Map

Ok, the Remberfolder works for me, however I did have a client a few years ago that has the issue you do. There is a windows (OS) variable that also comes into play on this. The Image open dialog is using a MS Windows file open routine and not an AutoCAD routine. There is a work around in XP/Visa that you can do to set the directory on the left side to show the shortcuts but that would apply to all files you open in any other program/application as well that uses the windows open file dialog.

One thing you might do is use the xref command to insert the image (then you lose all the correlation and scale) and use tthe favorite folders.

Murph
Message 7 of 17
stevedb

Hi Murph.

Again, thank you for your time.

Ok, screen shots.

For Imageattach command, via command line, I get the following dialogue box appear.

AC-DialogueBox.jpg

I then have to migrate over to another directory-- I've got it bookmarked on my desktop, so the traveling isn't quite so time-consuming/tedious....

ACDialogue-1.jpg

I do not see what you're talking about.

I get this same box if I use Insert>Raster Image Reference, or imageattach-- it doesn't matter which. It's the same command.

In considering what you've described further, it sounds as though you're describing the windows document open diaglogue box used by Office.

E.g.,

OfficeDiaBox.jpg

I do in fact have favorite folder settings I can do there-- but I don't have such options...... oh... wait a minute.....

I just tried something I'd never looked at before.

I ACDialogue-1.jpg

I just looked at the icons to the left of the Hide preview button. Are you referring to those?

Please clarify.

Thank you.

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, the Remberfolder works for me, however I did have a client a few years ago that has the issue you do. There is a windows (OS) variable that also comes into play on this. The Image open dialog is using a MS Windows file open routine and not an AutoCAD routine. There is a work around in XP/Visa that you can do to set the directory on the left side to show the shortcuts but that would apply to all files you open in any other program/application as well that uses the windows open file dialog.

One thing you might do is use the xref command to insert the image (then you lose all the correlation and scale) and use tthe favorite folders.

Message 8 of 17
stevedb

Hey Murph,

I was doing some more reading, and I ran across something that says I can set my choices of default directories in the Profile name under Options.

I did create a profile, but it's been so long now that I don't see where I can edit it anymore.

Is there a way to edit a profile once set?

Message 9 of 17
antoniovinci

> My goal is to set the default directory of where the Insert>Insert Raster Image starts

Well, my suggestion makes exactly what you're looking for: did you try it..?
P.S.
The interface language was polish, which I'm struggling since 1999 with...
Message 10 of 17
stevedb

@antoniovinci wrote:
> My goal is to set the default directory of where the Insert>Insert Raster Image starts

Well, my suggestion makes exactly what you're looking for: did you try it..?
P.S.
The interface language was polish, which I'm struggling since 1999 with...

Hi AntonioV,

Yes, and did not work.

It still opens to the unpopulated directory.

Message 11 of 17
antoniovinci

Would you give us a screenshot of your icon properties, like mine?
Message 12 of 17
Murph_Map

Yes the icon on the right,  Add to favorite. Then you have to click on favorites to get to it. Its a few less clicks.

addFav.png

HOWEVER like I wrote if you have an world file and the images are georeferanced the imageattach does not insert them at the proper scale/location.

As for getting to the profile it's in the options Tpye OP at command line and the profile is the tab to the far right.

Murph
Message 13 of 17
stevedb

sure,

ACIconProp.jpg

I changed the "start in" directory. It was directed to a folder in the C drive. I'm wishing now I would've kept a copy of the address, but I didn't think about it until after I'd restarted AC.

@antoniovinci wrote:
Would you give us a screenshot of your icon properties, like mine?

Message 14 of 17
stevedb

Hi Murph,

Yep, just like that. I migrated over to item 3, then selected item 1. I closed out of that, and then reopened imageattach (for some reason hoping to get to item 3 automatically), selected item 2, and it showed me the favorite places-- under which my desired location now exists.

Murph wrote:

Yes the icon on the right,  Add to favorite. Then you have to click on favorites to get to it. Its a few less clicks.

addFav.png

HOWEVER like I wrote if you have an world file and the images are georeferanced the imageattach does not insert them at the proper scale/location.

As for getting to the profile it's in the options Tpye OP at command line and the profile is the tab to the far right.

Message 15 of 17
antoniovinci

Steve,
I guess that something's wrong with the permissions to your \\BRUNEAU\GISDATA... folder.

To check my tip, please create a directory C:\AEROFOTO and put there a couple of images.

If it works, we'll be aware that your network address needs investigation.
Message 16 of 17
stevedb

@antoniovinci wrote:
Steve,
I guess that something's wrong with the permissions to your \\BRUNEAU\GISDATA... folder.

To check my tip, please create a directory C:\AEROFOTO and put there a couple of images.

If it works, we'll be aware that your network address needs investigation.

curious... I have full read/write permissions.

The only thing not checked is special permissions.

I then went into advanced, and set that up to have full control.

Still opens default to the unpopulated directory.

Message 17 of 17
stevedb

As I think about this further, I'm curious....

With permissions, is it that even though I can manually migrate over to those locations, or even establish a book mark to migrate more quickly, do they prevent the computer from migrating over automatically?

I know our network is watched like a hawk. I also know that while I am not able to make changes to the Bruneau directory, I can in fact make changes, modify, add, remove, etc... to the Map_Signed-Assignments directory.

The restrictions to the Bruneau is that higher level directories are restricted. Also lateral directories are restricted to specific users-- of which I am not a part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost