AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

datum conversion not shown in WKT

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
MALTOM
638 Views, 3 Replies

datum conversion not shown in WKT

In our company we use several datums which come in multiple variants, e.g. Pulkovo, MInna and other West African ones.

We frequently need to set up alternative datum shifts to comply with client requirements for exact positioning (Oil & Gas Industry). These are usually Molodensky or Bursa-Wolfe shifts.

I have done a fair amount of experimenting with the datum creation wizards, and within AutoCAD the shifts seem to work correctly, but I am puzzled that when one views the details of the Datum Transformation from the library, the transformation parameters are not shown as part of the WKT string. Also, presumeably consequently, when data from a drawing with a coordinate system based on this shift is exported to ESRI shapefile format, the transforamtion parametere are not shown in the .prj file.

I do not know whether I have missed a stage in the creation process, or if this this is a bug. It also seems odd that when viewing the details of a user-defined datum, there is no obvious clue as to what the transformation parameters are for that datum, other than finding a transformation with the same code name.

I should be grateful for any explanation of these points.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MALTOM
in reply to: MALTOM

Further points:

This is happening in AutoCAD Map 2012

Datum shifts which are Auto-Registered from R2010 files do shown up in the WKT

Message 3 of 4
phil_borycens
in reply to: MALTOM

Hello,

Is there any chance you can post screenshots of example WKT's that function differently as you describe?

Also, I'm not sure if this applies, but FYI, one of our developers is working on a fix to remove the illustrated parameters:

TOWGS84_ALL_ZERO.png

Thanks!

Phil

Phil Borycens
Message 4 of 4
MALTOM
in reply to: phil_borycens

Hi Phil, thanks for your interest. Attached is a Word document with a selection of screen shots, also two .dwg files with the relevant projections attached. I hope this makes the problem clearer. Why should one want to remove these parameters from the WKT as they are necessary for creating the .prj for ESRI? >From Alice. Alice Thomson Cartographic Office GEMS Survey Limited A member of the GEMS International Group of Companies Geotechnical, Geophysical and Metocean Expertise around the World St James House, St James Place, Gains Lane, Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10 1FB England Company Registration Number: 3083699 T: +44 (0)1380 735200 F: +44 (0)1380 735201 alice.thomson@gems-group.com:mailto:maxine.collins> www.gems-group.comGEMS International Group fully supports environmental awareness. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete the material from any computer.:mailto:maxine.collins>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost