AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

anna.pesola
Message 1 of 6 (173 Views)

data to set up industry model, manipulate raster, saving

173 Views, 5 Replies
12-30-2012 10:21 PM

Hello!

I apologize in advance for all the questions.

I used the industry model template for the North American electric grid, thinking it would link the data I saw on the tutorials. I am pretty sure that I need to find industry models for the electric grid now that I can't seem to get the conductors to show up on my map. Is that right? Does anyone have an idea where I can find an industry model of the electric grid around Lake Michigan? Or, please direct me to where I am mistaken.

If I cannot find an industry model (a database?), can I just switch workspace to "Planning and Analysis" and import the models I have (images, West side of lake only) and attempt to manipulate those (while keeping everything I have)?

I have lost much work repeatedly upon saving. Do I always have to "check in" my data before saving? That is unclear to me.

Is there an easier way to match-up roster images (that aren't GEOTiffs) to shapefiles (that have a coordinate system) rather than using "scale," "rotate" and "move"? I didn't have luck with the "pick" option and monkeying around with manual manipulation didn't match up well. Perhaps there is a way to manipulate points on an image?

Again, thank you for your time.

Anna

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 6 (163 Views)

Re: data to set up industry model, manipulate raster, saving

12-31-2012 01:31 AM in reply to: anna.pesola

anna.pesola wrote:
I have lost much work repeatedly upon saving

Would you elaborate better, 'cause it's hard to believe, madame...

anna.pesola wrote:
Is there an easier way to match-up roster images (that aren't GEOTiffs) to shapefiles (that have a coordinate system) rather than using "scale," "rotate" and "move"?

Yup, you should use the _ALIGN command.

anna.pesola
Message 3 of 6 (144 Views)

01-01-2013 04:43 PM in reply to: antoniovinci

anna.pesola wrote:
I have lost much work repeatedly upon saving

antoniovinci wrote:

Would you elaborate better, 'cause it's hard to believe, madame...

I spent quite a while trying to get a pdf to match-up to an SHP file. I saved the .dwg without "checking in" and when I re-opened my file, the pdf wasn't even on my drawing. The day before that, my drawing was missing a few SHP files I had deselected in the Display Manager. After looking at the help menu, I am pretty sure this will be resolved if I "check in" everything before saving. Will checking in save the changes I make to the map ( i.e. modifying the pdf to match up to SHP)? I am not sure if it didn't since I imported the PDF as an image.

I don't have to lock/unlock the PDF with the .dwg, do I?

anna.pesola wrote: Is there an easier way to match-up roster images (that aren't GEOTiffs) to shapefiles (that have a coordinate system) rather than using "scale," "rotate" and "move"?

antoniovinci:

Yup, you should use the _ALIGN command.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I will try that!

I appreciate your help :smileyhappy:

Anna

anna.pesola
Message 4 of 6 (136 Views)

01-01-2013 10:11 PM in reply to: anna.pesola

When I save my .dwg with the pdf imported as an image... it doesn't save the pdf at all, let alone all the modifications I used to get it to match the SHP. Ugh. Do I have to save the pdf as a layer first? The reason why I don't like doing that is because I cannot modify it as a layer like I can as an image.

Anna

anna.pesola
Message 5 of 6 (133 Views)

01-01-2013 10:19 PM in reply to: anna.pesola

When I save the SHP (without the pdf showing), I can see it somewhere in the background as it saves (flickering there). I also see it on the "quick view drawings" in the bottom toolbar; but I can't see it on the drawing.

How do I find and save the pdf image? I will save it as a layer on the Display Manager when I have it matching to the SHP file. I didn't want to do it before that because I couldn't figure out how to get it from a Display Manager layer back to a pdf image (to modify more).

Thanks a million!

Anna

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 6 of 6 (123 Views)

01-02-2013 02:28 AM in reply to: anna.pesola

I'm sorry, my old Map2006 doesn't support embedding PDF, so I can't understand what you mean with "saving PDF"...

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.