AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data to set up industry model, manipulate raster, saving

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
anna.pesola
334 Views, 5 Replies

data to set up industry model, manipulate raster, saving

Hello!

I apologize in advance for all the questions.

I used the industry model template for the North American electric grid, thinking it would link the data I saw on the tutorials. I am pretty sure that I need to find industry models for the electric grid now that I can't seem to get the conductors to show up on my map. Is that right? Does anyone have an idea where I can find an industry model of the electric grid around Lake Michigan? Or, please direct me to where I am mistaken.

If I cannot find an industry model (a database?), can I just switch workspace to "Planning and Analysis" and import the models I have (images, West side of lake only) and attempt to manipulate those (while keeping everything I have)?

I have lost much work repeatedly upon saving. Do I always have to "check in" my data before saving? That is unclear to me.

Is there an easier way to match-up roster images (that aren't GEOTiffs) to shapefiles (that have a coordinate system) rather than using "scale," "rotate" and "move"? I didn't have luck with the "pick" option and monkeying around with manual manipulation didn't match up well. Perhaps there is a way to manipulate points on an image?

Again, thank you for your time.

Anna

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
antoniovinci
in reply to: anna.pesola

anna.pesola wrote:
I have lost much work repeatedly upon saving

Would you elaborate better, 'cause it's hard to believe, madame...

anna.pesola wrote:
Is there an easier way to match-up roster images (that aren't GEOTiffs) to shapefiles (that have a coordinate system) rather than using "scale," "rotate" and "move"?

Yup, you should use the _ALIGN command.

Message 3 of 6
anna.pesola
in reply to: antoniovinci

anna.pesola wrote:
I have lost much work repeatedly upon saving

antoniovinci wrote:

Would you elaborate better, 'cause it's hard to believe, madame...

I spent quite a while trying to get a pdf to match-up to an SHP file. I saved the .dwg without "checking in" and when I re-opened my file, the pdf wasn't even on my drawing. The day before that, my drawing was missing a few SHP files I had deselected in the Display Manager. After looking at the help menu, I am pretty sure this will be resolved if I "check in" everything before saving. Will checking in save the changes I make to the map ( i.e. modifying the pdf to match up to SHP)? I am not sure if it didn't since I imported the PDF as an image.

I don't have to lock/unlock the PDF with the .dwg, do I?

anna.pesola wrote: Is there an easier way to match-up roster images (that aren't GEOTiffs) to shapefiles (that have a coordinate system) rather than using "scale," "rotate" and "move"?

antoniovinci:

Yup, you should use the _ALIGN command.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I will try that!

I appreciate your help 🙂

Anna

Message 4 of 6
anna.pesola

When I save my .dwg with the pdf imported as an image... it doesn't save the pdf at all, let alone all the modifications I used to get it to match the SHP. Ugh. Do I have to save the pdf as a layer first? The reason why I don't like doing that is because I cannot modify it as a layer like I can as an image.

Anna

Message 5 of 6
anna.pesola

When I save the SHP (without the pdf showing), I can see it somewhere in the background as it saves (flickering there). I also see it on the "quick view drawings" in the bottom toolbar; but I can't see it on the drawing.

How do I find and save the pdf image? I will save it as a layer on the Display Manager when I have it matching to the SHP file. I didn't want to do it before that because I couldn't figure out how to get it from a Display Manager layer back to a pdf image (to modify more).

Thanks a million!

Anna

Message 6 of 6
antoniovinci

I'm sorry, my old Map2006 doesn't support embedding PDF, so I can't understand what you mean with "saving PDF"...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost