AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Links in AutoCad Map

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
cindy.jones
837 Views, 7 Replies

Data Links in AutoCad Map

How does the datalinks handle the links to the excel spreadsheet.  I am drawing parcels from legal descriptions and would like to link each parcel to a spreadsheet with all the parcels data via a ID number.  Then be able to click on that parcel and see the owner (the link). But my question is: do I have to give each link a new name to correspond with the parcel in order to see each parcel ownership? 

And how many datalinks can a drawing handle. 

I am a novice at this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
matTech
in reply to: cindy.jones

You should only need 1 data link per table. Create a parcel with object data containing the primary ID key. Link the linked table based on the foreign key in your excel table. It's not too hard. You can also do it via FDO connection. That's actually the better way to go IMO. I did something similar to what you are trying to do and eventually used FDO connection for parcels and objects for base layers. If I needed to make a map with parcel objects, I would just do a feature to object export. Very useful for making themed maps based on different attribution of your parcels.

Message 3 of 8
cindy.jones
in reply to: matTech

I am glad to hear someone else has done this. 

First question, I have one table with  8000 or so parcels.  What I would like to end up with is the ability to click on the parcel and be able to look at the data link to see who owns it so I am only looking at  no more than 4 columns. I am thinking I can use the one table with a different link for each parcel which would ultimately result in 8000 links. 😞   I think I am approaching this wrong.

Can you direct me to what FBO is and does and how it works, please.   Again please forgive my noviceness.  What is an IMO?

I do not have a server just my little ole Dell, 64 bit. 

Many thanks

Message 4 of 8
thepworth

FDO (not FBO - FBO is Fixed Base Operator at an airport, or the only acronym I know with that combo) stands for Feature Data Object - or what you get from "Data Connect" through map.  You may have some headaches with 64bit drivers through ODBC connections to get connected to Excel.  See this link & scroll down to Jan 23rd's posting:

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/map-3d/

IMO - is "In My Opinion"

What you need is a set of GIS features (polygons) with a unique id (Parcel ID) that has a common link in EXCEL and you can peform a "Spatial Join" on the table for the parcels features to the Excel table - not too hard.  

Keep asking if  you need more help  & best of luck!

Message 5 of 8
cindy.jones
in reply to: thepworth

That would be wonderful. I have shapefiles but alas, they are not ideal. Maybe, I should try even if they are not ideal.  If I understand correctly the link would be the to the same files as I have in ArcMap?  I would use the ArcMap Database to link to in AutoCad, so as I drew the parcel I could link parcel in AutoCad to the ArcMap Database thru FDO.  Am I on the right track?? Even with problems that could exist with the 64 bit system that would be interesting to try.

Many thanks 

Message 6 of 8
Murph_Map

@thepworth wrote:

FDO (not FBO - FBO is Fixed Base Operator at an airport, or the only acronym I know with that combo)

Forward Base Operations for old soldiers. 🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 8
thepworth

yes, you are on the right track.  unfortunately with versioning, one vendor or the other gets a "leg up" on the other.  right now you'll find that Autodesk matches to Arc9.3.1, not 10.  The idea is to work where the "productive sweet spot" is - if you're CAD proficient go with Map,GIS go with Map (o.k. so maybe the competitor has some well developed add-ons, but we refer to it as E$RI for a reason).

You might consider investing $60 or so in "Map3D a practical guide" by Alex Penney - it will get you further faster.

Or just hire Murph for custom training 🙂

Message 8 of 8
cindy.jones

Thank you, I will purchase the book. 

When I updated to AutoCad 2012 I was told it would talk to ArcMap 10 but maybe it does in a different language than I am using 🙂

As far as ArcMap 10 I like for NAIP imagery and layers.   But I also need AutoCad Map 2012 due to historical drawings and this version seems to be more friendlier than in the past. The data links intrigue me because for the city lots and ownership I can add an excel table on the drawing and print the blocks by page with all the owners.  And it is easy to update because I have linked it. I may break up the county by Township/Range and link those parcels to a spreadsheet that is linked to a total spreadsheet of all the owners.   I do not know if it will work but it is worth a try.  I just need ownership on the drawing linked to the parcel or at least that is my goal.   

I am no expert in ArcMap or AutoCad, just learning so I appreciate the reference to the book. 

Many thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost