AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Contours From .txt file data

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
foskeyj
2570 Views, 9 Replies

Creating Contours From .txt file data

I have been trying to create a contour map from survey data my group collected for a project but have not had much luck. I have all of the data in a text file (that is set up correctly) with the northings, eastings and elevations. I can get that to import the points and it is correct but I cannot get the contour lines to draw. I need the intervals to be .25ft with a major line every 4. there is about 1600 different data points. 

Can anyone help me out with the proper steps to create them from a text file? To get the points in the file i used "_MAPIMPORT" 

also, the data is in an L shape so can someone also explain how to create a boundary condition to only contour that L shape and not try to connect points on opposite ends of the area?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
antoniovinci
in reply to: foskeyj

Without Civil, you won't create contours limited by a boundary...

If you zip and attach that point Ascii file, I'd try to generate them in a Gis opensource (for free, sir).

Message 3 of 10
Olga_Shevchenko

foskeyj,

copy this example  to the COMMANDLINE 🙂

_pline

Message 4 of 10

Olga_Shevchenko wrote:

copy this example  to the COMMANDLINE 🙂

It doesn't matter, madame.

A contour is NOT a random chain, but a 2D polyline having nodes at the same identical Z elevation.

The only solution is to create a Dem file from that point cloud, then extract the desired contours.

Autocad Civil does it in a while, Map > 2007 doesn't, period.

Message 5 of 10

Hi,

if you've successfully loaded file into POINT in AutoCAD, you can use MAPCREATESURFACE to generate a TIF (DEM) then with Right clic on DEM you can create contours lines from DEM (in SDF file) followed by MAPIMORT to obtain AutoCAD Polyligne. Eventually, MAPCLEAN to simplify if polyline has too much vertex.

If you want polyine with elevation, it's necessary to request your DWG, to affect (modify properties)  ELEVATION form Elevation read in OD.

It's not a really a nice TIN (like Civil can do) but it can be enough for your job.

Olivier

Message 6 of 10

olivier.eckmann wrote:

you can use MAPCREATESURFACE to generate a TIF (DEM) 

In my Map2006, the MAPCREATESURFACE command creates a vector Tin, not a raster Dem.

So I apologize deeply, gentlemen.

Message 7 of 10
foskeyj
in reply to: olivier.eckmann

thank you to everyone that helped out. Funny enough, right after i posted my question i determined how to do it. I know how to do it in Civil 3D but for some reason it crashes after about 5 minutes (64bit windows 😎 so that program is starting to become useless for me. 

Message 8 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> right after i posted my question i determined how to do it

SCNR1: So it would have been great to let the forum know that as there are now some people spent time for your problem while you have already solved it.

>> (64bit windows 😎 so that program is starting to become useless for me

SCNR2: You have chosen the wrong os for the program, so it's not the program, that is useless, you took the wrong combination of os and app that can't be combined (Win8 is not supported for Civil3D ...up to 2013). Take Win7 and the program is more than useful 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 10
foskeyj

SCNR1: So it would have been great to let the forum know that as there are now some people spent time for your problem while you have already solved it.

I could have done that, but i dont sit on the forums when i am trying to do something. My issue was that the file i recieved was incorrectly titled and i was making sure that i had the correct process. 

SCNR2: You have chosen the wrong os for the program, so it's not the program, that is useless, you took the wrong combination of os and app that can't be combined (Win8 is not supported for Civil3D ...up to 2013). Take Win7 and the program is more than useful :smileywink:

I have 2013 with the 64bit service pack installed. From everything that i have seen, it is supported by 8. 

I am stuck with this program to do this project. I am more familiar with microstation which i use at work everyday. 

Message 10 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have 2013 with the 64bit service pack installed. From everything that i have seen, it is supported by 8

Sorry, no, Civil3D 2013 is not supported for Win8, and I guess that is not written anywhere that is should be, or do you have a link for such an info?

>>>click<<<

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost