AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Workflow in Acad Map 3d -> Assign Coord System

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
doni49
617 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a Workflow in Acad Map 3d -> Assign Coord System

We're looking into the "Workflow" system in Map3d.

One of our most common tasks is to Set the coordinate system and then add a georeferenced image (such as a SID file).

I'd like to create a workflow that will do this -- but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it to set the coordinate system.  I will eventually need to tell the image what coordinate system to use (we normally have to edit that manually).

I've been searching but keep finding links to the AutoCAD help system which is not very helpful.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
lmclaughlin
in reply to: doni49

Don,

I am also seeking a workflow solution - and watching your post for suggestions.One of my most common tasks is printing a dxf basemap from some online source, then inserting into Map 3D to create well plans, contour maps, etc. I need the map to be to scale and geo referenced, but assigning the coordinate system to the inserted dxf creates problems with scaling the drawing. I agree that searches for help generally bring up regular AutoCAD results and the help within Map 3D is rarely user friendly. I'm hoping this post will generate some useful discussions!

Message 3 of 9
doni49

Well I've made some progress.  But I'm still not there.

I've got the command that sets the drawing's coordinate system.  ADESETCRDSYS.  But I need to set this to one of three systems (MO83-WF, MO83-CF or MO83-EF).  I'd like to find a way to prompt for one of these specific systems and have that input.

AssignCoord.png

But the other problem is that when the user attaches a raster file, the raster has it's own coordinate system (UTM83-15) that we normally assign when we attach it. 

Or normal workflow is:

1. MapSetup>Connect
  2. Add Raster Image or Surface Connection
  3. Choose an image file (we have some georeferenced tiffs and SID files)
  4. Then after choosing the file and "Connect" you'll see something like the following dialog box.  AssignCoord2.png
  5. Double click on the image in the dialog and you'll see the following dialog box.  AssignCoord3.png
  6. Highlight Default and Click on Edit.
  7. Then choose the coordinate system (UTM83-15).

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 9
doni49

If I could find a way to do this via autolisp that would be ok too.  I need to present the user with three possible coordinate zones and assign the DRAWING's coordinate zone based on that selection.  That part I can handle fairly easily.

Then I need to attach the raster and edit the raster's "Spatial Context" so that it's UTM83-15 (this will not vary -- but we have to enter it for each raster).

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 9
Murph_Map

@doni49 wrote:

If I could find a way to do this via autolisp that would be ok too.  I need to present the user with three possible coordinate zones and assign the DRAWING's coordinate zone based on that selection.  That part I can handle fairly easily.

Then I need to attach the raster and edit the raster's "Spatial Context" so that it's UTM83-15 (this will not vary -- but we have to enter it for each raster).

Unless things changed over the last few years none of the FDO functions are exposed to LSP. Have you asked for help over in the map development forum?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

for images you might use _MAPIINSERT instead of _MAPCONNECT?

With setting FILEDIA to 0 you can then use (command "_MAPIINSERT" ...)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 9
Murph_Map
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

for images you might use _MAPIINSERT instead of _MAPCONNECT?

With setting FILEDIA to 0 you can then use (command "_MAPIINSERT" ...)

- alfred -

Only problem with that Alfred is the MapIInsert does NOT do a coordnite reprojection on the fly like Data Connect does. If the image and dwg objects are in the same CS then the OP would have no need to try in setting the CS for image with the workflow.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 9
doni49
in reply to: Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

@doni49 wrote:

Unless things changed over the last few years none of the FDO functions are exposed to LSP. Have you asked for help over in the map development forum?

No I haven't.  When I first started looking into improving this process, I really thought/hoped that the built-in Workflow Manager would take care of it.  But after having so much difficulty in finding a way to have it do so, I got to thinking that lisp would EASILY allow me to ask the user which CS the drawing should be in and there is a command line method of assigning the global CS to the drawing.

When it comes to actually attaching the image, the images we typically use ALWAYS use the same CS (UTM83-15) but they have to be entered every time we attach one.  I thought maybe there would be a command line method of doing this too.

EDIT:  As suggested, I started a thread about this over in the Map customization group.  That thread can be found here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D-Developer/Attach-Geo-referenced-image-using-automation/td-p/4725177

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 9
parkr4st

Don

Not sure how many combinations of CS and photos you end up with.  Can you figure that out?  3 CS x photos =?

It may be easier to make template maps of each combination and store them in a folder, give each each template a logical name like "anytown, MO" and have your work flow point to the folder and just select the template you need. 

dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost