AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create points from x, y coordinates within attached database

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
LeMay1327
1597 Views, 7 Replies

Create points from x, y coordinates within attached database

Hi there,

I'm currently working with a drawing that has thousands of polygons.  The drawing is a shapefile that I exported to AutoCAD map 3D via ArcMap 10.1. My issue is that I need to link this drawing to a ms access database that has the attribute data for each of the indvidual polygons.

If I have the x and y coordinates (UTM Easting and Northing) for the center of each polygon in the database (connected to the drawing via an odbc connection), is there anyway that AutoCAD can generate a point layer from these coordinates with the attribute data attached?  Sorry if this question may seem a little strange, but I am very new to AutoCAD and I am desperate to find an answer.

Thanks, 

Andrew

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: LeMay1327

This "spatial join" is quite possible only if the X,Y coordinates are stored in the Access records.

Message 3 of 8
Murph_Map

You need to either convert the polygons to SDF or shp and data connect to that then do a join to the odbc connection  or just data connect to the shape file from ArcGIS.  

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 8
LeMay1327
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply.

I do have the the x,y coordinates of the points in a "Locations" table within my database.  The main reason I need to perform this link is that all the labelling information for the polygons is within the database (it's a cemetery so the polygons are individual plots, and the labelling info is a unique plotID). The goal is to be able to change/update the labelling of the drawing by altering records with database forms.  I know it would be easy to complete this task is ArcMap (which is the program I work with most often), but I am doing it in AutoCAD 3D because I no longer have access to an ESRI software license.

If i convert the drawing back to a shapefile (or sdf), and conduct this "join" will i be able to successfully label the drawing with the info from the database?

Thanks again, 

Andrew

Message 5 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> The main reason I need to perform this link is that all the labelling information for the polygons is within the database

If you just need to show labels you don't need to join the polygonal and point datasets, you can use the labeling directly from your point-source.

If you connected to your point data (using command _MAPCONNECT right-click on the GIS-layer for the points (within the MAPWSPACE-dialog and set it's style to show the labels from the data you have available in the point source.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 8

Good point, Alfred, I agree totally.

Message 7 of 8
LeMay1327
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you very much,

This worked well..

One more question, If i was to have the xy data stored in another database (say mySQL or PostGRE) would it be possible to do the same thing?

Cheers,

Message 8 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

As long as you find a provider in the list of supported GIS-data source types (in the dialog doe _MAPCONNECT) you can do.

If you don't find a provider you have the chance to go to www.osgeo.org and search for a data-provider supporting your format, if you find one you can add this "technologie" so you get access to it via _MAPCONNECT.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost