AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create blocks with attributes from attached .mdb

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dhenderhan
659 Views, 8 Replies

Create blocks with attributes from attached .mdb

I hope I can explain this correctly.  I have an access database attached to a blank drawing.  The database is a list of existing oil wells.  I want to have civil3d (or map) create a custom block (I already have the blocks created) inserted at a coordinate in the database and propagate the other fields in the database into attributes in the blocks.  For instance, the first two fields in the database are the x and y.  Some of the other fields in the database are the well status and company name.  Is it possible for Map to read the first two fields to know where to put the block, then select the block to insert based on wells status and company name, and then complete attributes from the other fields (section, township, range, county, etc) into the block?  I'm having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the map3d user's guide talking about topologies, link templates, object classifications, etc.  Using Civil3D 2013 infrastructure design suite, Win 7 64-bit, office 64-bit.

Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Dell Precision 3660 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel (R) RTX A2000
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 2.10 GHz
128 GB ram
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: dhenderhan

That's an exciting question, sir: I'll answer about my Map2006, hopefully that newer releases can do it.

When you issue the _ADEGENLINK command, you can only append the external .MDB values to the block's Object Data, while you won't replace or populate the block attributes itself.

As a workaround, you could export your existing blocks thru the _ATTOUT command, feeding the resulting file in a spreadsheet, then import it thru _ATTIN back in Autocad.

Message 3 of 9
dhenderhan
in reply to: antoniovinci

I'm really new to this version of Autocad and am using the ribbon and buttons, so I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the commands you're referencing in the first paragraph of your response.  As to the second paragraph....I have a blank drawing.  I want the .mdb file to create the blocks.  I received a database of well information and wish to CREATE a drawing representing that data using blocks with attributes.

I'm open to other options if someone could explain it to me a little better than I've been able to learn on my own. I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm just a surveyor who's been keeping up on CAD all these years, but am still new at the whole ODBC/MDF/MYSQL/FDO....etc.

Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Intel (R) RTX A2000
128 GB ram
Message 4 of 9
antoniovinci

The above commands need only to be typed in the prompt window (F2 to trigger it, or CTRL-9 to show the simple command line).

If you have no privacy troubles, feel free to share that .MDB with us, or send it to me by email, thx.

Message 5 of 9
TerryDotson

I'm open to other options ...

Then take a look at ToolPac's Block Place tool.  Simply select your MDB, single click to retrieve the tables and select one, then choose the fields that are needed to place the blocks inserts.  All attribute tags that match field names automatically populate the attributes.

Dialog Example: http://www.dotsoft.com/images/tpblkinsplc.png

Message 6 of 9
dhenderhan

No...I understand what your saying.  It appears that that command will link the database to objects (blocks) in the drawing.  I don't have any blocks in the dwg.  What I need is for map to read the mdb and CREATE blocks in the drawing with the database data attached to them somehow, with the geometry listed in the first two columns of the database (xy).  I don't really want to pay for additional software addons. just need to know if map can do it.

Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Intel (R) RTX A2000
128 GB ram
Message 7 of 9
antoniovinci

Dear David,

for the second (and last) time, I invite you to share or send by email your .MDB, in order to simulate the true scenario and look for a feasible solution.

Message 8 of 9
dhenderhan

Here you go.  Here are all three files.  Two are dynamically linked in the .accdb. Then you have to make a copy of the .accdb and change the file extension to .mdb for map to be able to read it.  You also have to be running the 64-bit version of Office 2010, and have the 64-bit database drivers instlled form microsoft for map to be able to read the file unless you are running the 32-bit version of Map.

Oops, well I tried to attach them, but didn't look at file size.  The files are 37MB each for the .accdb and .mdb and the linked files are just over 19MB.  Too large to e-mail as well.  I will try to shrink them down some...it's an enitre state's worth of wells.

Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Intel (R) RTX A2000
128 GB ram
Message 9 of 9
antoniovinci

I only need the .MDB one (saved as 2003 Access), nothing else, so zip and shoot it here:

sieradz Heart gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost