AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coordinate System Help

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
terryl
621 Views, 9 Replies

Coordinate System Help

I have a shape file I down loaded from FEMA and another shape file of the city limits from a city web site, both of the same area.  When I use map to connect to these shp files they both come in at a negative coordinate.  I have another shp file that I got from the same city that comes in where it should, in a positive coordinate system.  It does not seem to matter what coordinate system I use in the drawing setup, anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Terry

Civil 3D 2021
Dell 5510
Win 10 Pro X64
Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz
32 GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
antoniovinci
in reply to: terryl

Please zip and attach here that negative .SHP file, and the .PRJ (if you have one).

Message 3 of 10
terryl
in reply to: antoniovinci

Here is the zip file

Civil 3D 2021
Dell 5510
Win 10 Pro X64
Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz
32 GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 4 of 10
antoniovinci

Everything is perfectly exact: the shapefile is negative 'cause it refers to U.S.A. country (longitude at west of Greenwich).

I converted it to NAD83/Texas State Mapping System, i.e. EPSG:3081 - check this out, sir.

Message 5 of 10
terryl

Ok so the drawing crashed on me, I reopen the drawing and everything is in a positive coordinate system with out changing anything now I'm really don't understand what is going on.  I loaded your shp file and it comes in a positive coord system but it is different than mine, now map seems to be crashing all the time, did not even get a chance to save after loading your shp file.  Can you tell me how you knew what system the shp file was setup in and how you converted it to the tx coord system.

thank you for all your help

terry

Civil 3D 2021
Dell 5510
Win 10 Pro X64
Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz
32 GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 6 of 10
antoniovinci

First in Notepad you read the .PRJ content, which represents a typical LL84 shapefile.

Then _MAPIMPORT it in Autocad Map, set LL84 as main projection (command _ADESETCRDSYS), finally _MAPEXPORT to a new shapefile in one of the Texas' CRS.

terryl wrote:

I loaded your shp file...but it is different than mine 

What does "mine" mean..?
Please copy and paste here the content of "your" .PRJ file, sir.

Message 7 of 10
terryl

This is what is in the prj file.

GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]]

Civil 3D 2021
Dell 5510
Win 10 Pro X64
Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz
32 GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 8 of 10
antoniovinci

Sorry, but this is the same .PRJ which you sent before in the zip file...

Look for every .PRJ file you have in your project folder, and paste 'em here, thx.

Message 9 of 10
terryl

That one and the one you sent are the only two I have in this project

Civil 3D 2021
Dell 5510
Win 10 Pro X64
Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz
32 GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 10 of 10
antoniovinci

Well, I got misled, so feel free to send me everything by email at:

sieradz Heart gmail.com

If you're not allowed to do that, please attach a couple of screenshots, in order to let us understand what's going on...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost