AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting 3D surface (from xml) to triangulated mesh

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1106 Views, 1 Reply

Converting 3D surface (from xml) to triangulated mesh

Hi there!

I would like to ask the possibilities in Map 3D of working with 3D data.

I have files in *.xml and *.pcg, the letter I don't know how to use/convert.

I created a 3D surface from *.xml but I cannot use it elswhere tahn in Autocad. Is there a possibility to convert it to TIN (*.dem, *.asc, *.grd, *.msh, *.dxf) with triangulated mesh and not a solid? The model I need for other softwares.

What are the possibilities of using/importing *.pcg to Map 3D?

Thanks!  Tina

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I have files in *.xml and *.pcg, the letter I don't know how to use/convert

PCG could be a pointcloud format, that does contain points, but no triangles/meshes.

XML is a very generic format, that could be everything, from a wordfile exported to XML up to LandXML.

To know what you really have we need to see something more (files upload if they are not too big in size) or an info where you have downloaded it or what software created the files ...

>> I created a 3D surface from *.xml

Great, what commands did you use to create a 3D-surface from the XML.

On one side the command gives us the info what is inside the XML, on the other side when you have already created a "3D-surface" please select that object and let us know what type of object that is (to be seen in the property window while the object is selected), as a first guess: it reports "ACMAPGISGRIDSURFACEENTITY", am I correct? If yes you have created it using command "_MAPCREATESURFACE"

>> but I cannot use it elswhere tahn in Autocad

Besides of that we need to know what you currently have the question is what do you want to do with that object.

And when you have Map 3D why do you need "to use" it in AutoCAD?

>> Is there a possibility to convert it to TIN (*.dem, *.asc, *.grd, *.msh, *.dxf) with triangulated mesh and not a solid?

If my estimation is correct (it's an ACMAPGISGRIDSURFFACEENTITY) then it's already converted to a TIFF which here represents like DEM a rasterfile with elevations.

So if your other surface can work with DEM it should also be able to work with that TIFF file.

BTW: what other software is it and when this other software can work with surfaces, are you sure that it can't use the points you have directly?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost