AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Point Cloud to Solid

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tedang
6789 Views, 4 Replies

Convert Point Cloud to Solid

Supposedly there's a way "To Convert One or More Surfaces to Solids":

http://docs.autodesk.com/MAP/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesACD/GUID-B18A1938-4DC3-4D38-9B75-5C65C556F...

However, I'm unable to find Home tabSolid Editing panelThicken.  Does anyone know how to do this?

I'm trying to take LIDAR/Point Cloud data and 3D print it (in the end, I need to make an STL file).  I've created a 3D surface from Point Cloud data which results in a Raster Layer.  I do not know how to convert the surface that's in the Raster Layer into a solid.  Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: tedang

Hi,

you can't convert any raster-objects to AutoCAD solids. On one side a point with height does not make a solid, on the other side an AutoCAD solid based on thousands or millions of points will not be able to exist (solid modelling is not builit for that amount of data).

One option to get solids out of your pointcloud could be to use Civil3D, there you can create a DTM (triangulated surfaces) and with some tools you might get a solid from the extruded triangles. But at least same here: the amount of data will be problematic for solids.

Last item: A pointcloud does only show a surface without any thickness of comparision-plane or comparision-surface. So that information is missing to build up solids.

I would start here: what do you want to do with that geometry, why do you need solids?

Maybe we can discuss a little bit the workflow and can then give some hints for other directions to work.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
antoniovinci
Message 4 of 5
tedang

I'm trying to 3D print a point cloud.  I was able to create a surface, but I'm having difficulty converting it to a solid.  Does anyone have a solution?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_O1B1XFj3g5S0pxUlhJbGVFRTA/edit?usp=sharing

Message 5 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I was able to create a surface, but I'm having difficulty converting it to a solid

antoniovinci has showed you a link for how to convert a Civil3D-surface to 3DFaces and then to 3DSolids.

Have you tried that workflow?

>> but I'm having difficulty converting it to a solid

What is the problem exactly, where are you stopped by what function with what message?

The more details you give the more and better answers you will get, just "have difficulty" is not informative enough for us to help you.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost